It's all I ever wanted - let's stay here forever

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

13/1/23 : Phosphorescent - Gabrielle Aplin

I have to admit I've heard her name and I know she's been around for a bit, but I can't say I really have any idea what the lady does?  I'm assuming it's pleasant enough singer-songerwritery stuff, but it could be anything...

Wow - Swedish death metal.  I wasn't expecting that.  No, it's pleasant enough singer-songerwritery stuff - fine but not exactly immediate.  I did get a Nerina Pallot vibe from some of it, which is an album that was quite a grower for me - so it might do the same?  I quite liked "Good Enough" and "Take It Easy" and there was nothing wrong with the rest of them, but they just didn't stand out enough on first listen for me.

Once again, we're much further down the charts than I was expecting - #15 with a new entry.  I fear the only way is down for Ms Aplin but I hope she manages to hang around for a bit.  The top five this week is exactly the same as last week - TaylorSZA, (she's still hanging in there well), The Weeknd's best of, Ed Sheeran and Harry Styles .  And the next highest new entry is a somewhat surprising Iggy Pop (#33) and that's it for new entries in the top 100 - have people just given up on January?

Wikipedia doesn't have anything on the album, but tells me it's her fourth and she's been around since 2013 - and I have heard of her because she did the The Power Of Love cover for the John Lewis Xmas advert.  Apart from that, her entry is distressingly light on facts of any interest.  She's a vegan and lives in Brighton - yawn.

"Customers also listened to" Rae Morris, Nina Nesbitt, Sigrid and Arina Of The North - I'm sure they're all lovely (but I only KNOW that Sigrid is).  Gabrielle seems lovely too and I can see I might well quite like her stuff if I gave it a chance, but it's quite a crowded marketplace so she's unlikely to get the chance, I'm afraid.

06/01/23 - One from 30 years ago
20/01/23 - One from 15 years ago


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves