There they go smokin' up the sky, yeah

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

21/01/73 : Crazy Horses - The Osmonds


What?!?  You have GOT to be fucking kidding me.  I'm being trolled by The Osmonds from 1973 - but there's nothing in the rules against it, so here we go again...

What?!?  I'm struggling to process it, but this isn't terrible.  I mean, it’s not great but it’s a million times better than Donny’s efforts.  It's all a bit of a musical magpie exercise - there are all sorts of things involved here.  At times it strays into Slade/T Rex glam rock territory, at other times there are shades of The Beatles, the title track is probably more Deep Purple than anything else and "Big Finish" is something out of The Benny Hill show.  So, taken on its own merits it’s a perfectly acceptable 70s thang which is odd, but surprisingly tolerable.

We're at #10 in the charts on their seventh week of a 16 week run, with it having peaked at #9.  The top five in this week were SladeGilbertSimon & Garfunkel, the LSO and Carly and the highest new entry was James Last, all the way down at #19.  So, once again Carly is the highest lady and unfortunately she's all on her own again.

Wikipedia tells me this is a heavy metal album - I'm not entirely sure I can go along with that, but I am happy to agree it shares some elements and possibly influenced others who came after, but I feel that saying it's "particularly significant in the evolution of heavy metal music" may be overstating matters.  It's not my area of expertise though, so I'm happy to be told I'm wrong by others who are wiser in such matters.  That's about all it has to say - it got to #14 in the US, so did OK for them I guess.

"Customers also listened to" - yup, other Osmondalia and David Cassidy but we also see The Sweet and The Bay City Rollers as well this time.  I didn't lurve this, but I did like bits of it and it's way better than anything else we've seen this year that features that name.  The only chink of relief is that I’ve not had to suffer anything from Jimmy - and yes, I realise I’ve not checked what I’m getting for the last two weeks of the year yet…

14/01/73 - His fans must REALLY love him
28/01/73 - Some interesting sounds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves