When the night has come and the land is dark

Continuing my trip up the list of the most streamed songs for each year.  

1961 : Stand By Me - Ben E. King


I know this (was it a jeans advert back in the day?) and I think it's my favourite track from the list so far - it's pure clarse!

Yup, it's 2:57 of top notch soul - just effortlessly cool.  And boy does Wikipedia have a LOT on it - 273 milliPeppers on just one song.  So you're only going to get a few highlights, I'm afraid.  I didn't know it was written by Lieber and Stoller (as well as Mr King).  Yes, it was a jeans ad - a 1987 Levis special (which pretty much guaranteed you a hit back then - #1 in this case).  It also featured quite heavily in a 1986 film - can you guess what the film was called?   And, most recently, it was sung at Meghan and Harry's wedding by The Kingdom Choir (and a very fine version it was too).  Interestingly, it's believed (in 2012, anyway) to be the sixth highest earning song ever - quite possibly because of the large number of cover versions.

And when I say large number, I mean LARGE.  Over 400 - FOUR HUNDRED!  You'll be pleased to hear I'm not going to list them all, but there are some "interesting" names on the list - Otis Redding, John Lennon (a very highly regarded version), Cassius Clay(!), Tracy Chapman, Florence And The Machine, Kenny Lynch, Meat Loaf (a tremolo reggae version, apparently), Stephen King (yes, the author), Miley Cyrus, Marc Bolan, Cannon & Ball and, errr, Torvill & Dean (what?).  It's been released as a single a surprising number of times as well - charting seven times in the UK and at least eleven times in the US.

All in all, I'm happy to give the year to Ben but we should check out the competition anyway.  The best selling single of the year in the UK was (who else?) Elvis with "Wooden Heart" - other tracks that jumped out for me were him again with "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and Del Shannon's "Runaway" - not as many as last year.  The US charts present us with Roy Orbison's "Crying" and The Shirelles' "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" - two fine songs, but again it seems like it wasn't the strongest year.

But it doesn't matter, because Ben would have won most years - it's a thoroughly fine song indeed and it was nice not to have to research why it might possibly have won!

1960 - Another surprising track
1962 - Another one I don't know

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves