I've got sunshine on a cloudy day

Continuing my trip up the list of the most streamed songs for each year.  

1964 : My Girl - The Temptations


Another track I know and I quite like, but it has a bit of a twee side to it - I don't think I could listen to it too many times in a row.  But I can manage one more for the team...

Yeah, it's fine - coming in at our usual sub-three minute 2:45 with some fine vocals, with David Ruffin leading from the front, which I'm told wasn't normally the case up to this time.  Wikipedia tells us it was written by Smokey Robinson and Ronald White, a slightly less well-known Miracle - originally the plan was for The Miracles to record this with David on vocals, but the rest of The Temptations convinced Smokey to let them have it.  It reached #2 in the UK and #1 in the US, being both The Temptations and Motown Records first chart topper over there.

And that's all we've got from Wikipedia apart from one description of the track as "a pulsating, shuffle-wobble ballad" - whatever one of those is.  But there's no pop culture, no cover versions, no related facts, no nothing!  So, we have to look elsewhere for cover versions - I'm not expecting too many great ones, but let's see.  Ah yes - I'm immediately proved wrong by Otis Redding's version (which I've already met), Cannibal & The Headhunters (an American-Mexican band who supported The Beatles at Shea Stadium, apparently), The Mamas & The Papas, The Righteous Brothers, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Michael Jackson, Glen Campbell, Dolly Parton, The Jesus & Mary Chain (I bet this version is really quite something), Brigitte Neilsen (the mind boggles), Phil Collins and Keke Okereke.  And this was a very small percentage of the total number - there were a LOT of them.

Once again, I'm feeling this year is represented by a US song which doesn't have a great deal of specific relevance to the UK - pop culture references include a load of movies (including, go on - guess) but that's about it.  I'm guessing the competition might feature The Beatles - shall we see?  Ah yes, the top selling UK single was "Can't Buy Me Love" and "A Hard Day's Night" and "I Feel Fine" also topped the charts.  Singles from other groups that jumped out at me were Cilla Black's "Anyone Who Had A Heart", The Animals "The House Of The Rising Sun" and Petula Clark's "Downtown".  Songs from the US chart include Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman", Mary Wells's "My Guy" (which has a pleasing symmetry to it), Dionne Warwick's "Anyone Who Had a Heart" (more symmetry!) and The Supremes' "Baby Love".

So yeah, The Temptations track is a fine track but it feels a bit like whoever pulled this list together picked it out of a hat - I actually suspect "Pretty Woman" must have run it close.  A top ten from every year would be interesting - but I suspect that might be asking too much!

1963 - Probably my favourite so far
1965 - A very strong year

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves