You're in a trance and I'm not so fond of you

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

14/07/96 : Raise The Pressure - Electronic


I remember I always thought I should like Electronic because of the people involved, but when it came to it, found them, well, a bit boring.  I don't think I ever listened to a whole album though, so maybe that opinion will change.

No, it didn't.  I didn't mind "Until The End Of Time", but the rest of the album was really very dull indeed - sub-par New Order and they're not exactly known for their brilliant albums.  "For You", for some completely unclear reason, brought to mind an identikit Alphablocks song - which made me chuckle, but is hardly a sign of musical quality.  And no, we never owned it - 9/25.

We're at #8 with a new entry this week as it started a five week run - and there have been some shockers which managed considerably more than that, which suggests this was quite a niche pleasure even back in the day.  The top five this week were Alanis, Crowded House, Ocean Colour Scene, The Smurfs, and Celine Dion (the usual five, but in a slightly different order for a change).  There were no other new entries in the top ten - the next was TAFKAP (#14) who I was surprised to see because I knew nothing about them, until I checked and found that it stands for The Artist Formerly Known As Prince.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album but what it does have to say is not exactly complimentary - "dense, thick production", "did not perform as well commercially".  Which I can't argue with - apart from this week on the charts, it really didn't make any impression anywhere.

"Customers also listened to" New Order (nobody expected that), The Railway Children and Kitchens Of Distinction (which is a fine name for a band, but that's all I can tell you about them!).  This album is just incredibly dull though - apparently their previous one is better, but I certainly won't be rushing to check it out.

07/07/96 - No-one asked for this
21/07/96 - Inoffensive but inessential

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves