We'll meet ourselves on the way back

The latest in an occasional series of play reviews...

Walking With Ghosts : Apollo Theatre

And once again, I'm trying something new - a one man show this time with Gabriel Byrne presenting a show based on his own memoir.  And yes, I know we've had a monologue before, but this is slightly different in being autobiographical (and The Human Voice was a one-woman show as well).  I like Gabriel Byrne in the few things I've seen him in - Millers Crossing and The Usual Suspects on film and In Treatment on TV (he makes a good therapist).  I didn't really have the faintest idea what this was all going to be about though - I certainly wasn't expecting a gossipy Q&A session, but apart from that I didn't really have a clue.  And the understated set as I walked in didn't really give me any help either.



So what basically happens is he takes us back to the very early days - 1950s Ireland sounds like a different planet, let alone a different century.  We then work our way forward through various important milestones in his life to some time approaching the present day, although it's somewhat vague as to how close we actually get.  It's much more of a play than I was expecting - I wasn't always convinced he was sticking to the script, but I guess we can trust the man to tell about his life accurately enough.  Throughout the play, the ghosts theme reoccurs - sometimes they're characters from the past, sometimes they're moments of shame/guilt and sometimes they're slightly more forced references for which I'll forgive him because I'm nice like that.
You'd expect the man to be a good actor and storyteller - but he delivers way above expectation in this regard.  The slightest change in voice or posture conveys a change of character well - and there are many characters to convey, including his own younger self at various different stages of his life.  And he has an interesting story to tell, which he does without making any attempt to gloss over the bits which reflect less well on him or obviously cause him pain.  He also has a very poetic turn of phrase and a lovely voice to match.  He uses the stage well - the setting is pretty minimal, but it works well with any lack of scenery more than adequately made up for by excellent use of light and sound.
I would have liked a bit more happiness and/or success in there - I almost got the feeling that he's more comfortable talking about his failures/weaknesses/pain than blowing his own trumpet.  For example, his discussion about the time he spent with Richard Burton (whilst filming Wagner - which also featured Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson) leads on to a discussion about his alcoholism.  Yes, the challenges make for a more interesting story but I doubt they're the only things that have made him who he is.  
But I'm quibbling - it was a very impressive and enjoyable show and the man looks very good for 72.  I thoroughly recommend you catch it if you get a chance (and there were a couple of empty seats next to me last night) - but it's only on until tomorrow, so you'll have to hurry!
Mad House - much more enjoyable than I was expecting
Marvellous - merely OK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves