I lie awake - hesitate between love and hate

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

30/06/96 : Naked - Louise


I am aware of Ms Nurding but am not convinced her solo career set the world on fire - I'm expecting some perfectly serviceable pop but nothing more than that.

And well, hmmm.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure it quite reaches the heights of "perfectly serviceable" - it's all a bit bland really with the exception of the title track which reaches the dizzying heights of "OK I guess".  It's the sort of stuff that plenty of people were churning out at the time (particularly on the other side of the Atlantic) and so you needed something to stand out from the crowd and I'm not sure "I was once in Eternal" quite cuts the mustard.  Sorry, I don't mind a nice female voice but this just doesn't do it for me - and we never owned it so we've plummeted down to 9/27.

We're at #7 in the charts with a new entry this week at the start of a quite frankly astonishing 33 week run - I can only assume some very careful release of both news and singles was required to maintain public interest for that long.  The top five this week were Crowded House (a new entry, starting a very creditable 63 week run), AlanisOcean Colour SceneCeline Dion and The Fugees and the only other new entry in the top ten is The Smurfs at #10.  Another new entry of interest this week is Beck's Odelay (#18), which spent 61 weeks in the charts over the next couple of years but never got higher than #17 - which it managed in its 24th week.

Wikipedia has very little on the album - it was released and did well enough over here selling 100k units.  But that was pretty much it.  "Customers also listened to" Victoria Beckham (once, at least), Kym Marsh and Michelle Gayle.  None of whom, with the possible exception of Hattie (I'm showing my age there) have done much to divert me.  And Louise has to stay on that list, I'm afraid - I liked her on Strictly though!

23/06/96 - One that hits the spot nicely
07/07/96 - No-one asked for this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves