All we have left is right now

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's Top 50 TV Shows of 2021.  

#39 : Pose

Ryan Murphy’s series about New York City’s African American and Latino LGBTQ+ and gender-nonconforming drag ball scene was already an important show. But in wrapping up the story, Pose became an out and out celebration of an under-represented demographic. It’ll be missed.


Skipping over #38 for a bit (it's a work in progress), I'm moving on to this because I know I can get it out of the way quickly.  I've never heard of it and, whilst I'm sure it is both important and well done (Ryan Murphy has a lot of well regarded shows to his name), this is the third season and it feels like I'd have to start at the beginning for it all to make sense.  And, I'm sorry Mr Murphy, but I'm just not going to find the time or the inclination to watch 26 episodes.  I'm also not convinced I'd like it - without seeing it, I can't help but feel that "New York City’s African American and Latino LGBTQ+ and gender-nonconforming drag ball scene" might just be a niche I can't quite relate to.  I've literally no idea why I might think that though...

However, I am going to give a guest reviewer a chance to take up the mantle - I suspect the lovely Mrs Reed would actually quite enjoy this.  And to encourage her I'm going to point out that Mr Murphy is the man behind Glee, 9-1-1 and Ratched - three very different programs, all of which she enjoyed.  If she takes up the challenge, I'll let you know her verdict - I'm guessing it might well be "You sooooooo wouldn't like it".

#38 - Surprisingly entertaining and educational
#40 - Dazzlingly ambitious

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves