All I want is everything - am I asking too much?

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

19/05/96 : Slang - Def Leppard


Like Bon Jovi's effort from a couple of weeks ago, 1996 feels past Def Leppard's glory days.  But maybe, like Bon Jovi, I won't mind this at all (if not really understanding the fuss).

Hmmm.  They're trying to do a bit more on this than they did on Hysteria - and in this case, at first listen, more is definitely not more.  I actually didn't mind "All I Want Is Everything" but most of it gets pretty tiresome (although I'm not exactly a massive fan of Hysteria either).  And I really didn't need the deluxe edition at over 2 hours long (I didn't make it to the end, I'm afraid).  And that's one weird looking album cover - that's obviously the reason we never bought it taking us to 9/33 at the end of a 10 week run of non-ownership (yes - we actually owned the next one!)

We're at #5 with a new entry this week, peaking at the start of an 11 week run with the rest of the top five made up by George (another new entry), AlanisAsh and Oasis.  There were no more new entries in the top ten - the next highest was yet another bloody pan pipes album at #26.  This one's from Free The Spirit who apparently had a #2 album in 1995 - who buys these things? (apart from shops).

Back to Def Leppard, Wikipedia tells me that since their previous album, various members of the band had experienced divorce, death of parent, arrest for spousal abuse and arrest for assault - so they were obviously having a right old giggle at the time.  They decided that, because grunge had happened, they had to try something new - fair play to the lads for giving a go, but it didn't work for me, I'm afraid.  The critics were mixed - some loved it, some thought it too undirected and one said "even the ballads lack the usual Def Leppard sense of having been written for lead-lined hippos to sing" (whatever that means).  It did well enough commercially though - selling over a million copies globally and getting to #14 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Gun, White Lion, Tesla and Warrant - all of whom I can tell you absolutely nothing about it.  And I can't say I know a lot more about Def Leppard, but I have at least heard of them - and listened to two of their albums now.  And this one comes a distant second for me - sorry.  I'm impressed they're still hanging in there though!

12/05/96 - Yeah. this was nice
26/05/96 - Just a bit meh for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves