My friends got their ladies - they're all having babies

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

22/09/96 : Older - George Michael


Woah - we've had a bit of a step up in quality recently, haven't we?  This is another album I know reasonably well and I was quite surprised that we didn't see it in the Rolling Stones exercise - Faith was his only entry there and I think there's a good argument this is a way better album.

Just look at the evidence presented up front - "Jesus To A Child", "Fastlove" (which features some very fine sax work I'd never noticed before), "Older" and "Spinning The Wheel".  That's a very decent start to an album, isn't it?  There's an argument that the quality then dips to merely "really still very good" - until "Star People" and "You Have Been Loved" anyway.  It's an older and more world-weary George - he'd been through a lot in the years since his preceding album.  It's also bizarre to think his sexuality was a matter of rumour at this time - what a long time ago that feels now (and it's just mad that he hasn't been with us for over five years now).  And this is another we own this one (courtesy of Mrs Reed at the time, but I suspect I would have bought it once I'd heard it) - the upward trend continues to 4/15.

We're at #8 in the charts this week in his 19th week of a 94 week run and he managed another 22 weeks across 4 runs before disappearing in 1997.  And it was, of course, re-released in 2017 and managed another 5 weeks.  The top five in the chart this week were Kula ShakerJamiroquai, REMThe Fugees and Space (a new entry, which would have been this week's choice if we hadn't already met it on #AOTD).  No other new entries in the top ten this week - the next ones are the slightly bizarre juxtaposition of DJ Shadow's Endtroducing (#17) and the best of Jim Reeves (#22 - the man had been dead for 32 years at this time).

Wikipedia has a well-deserved 193 milliPeppers on the album - and there's quite a bit of backstory there about his contract dispute which preceded this release.  It was well received globally (6 million sales), although Wikipedia claims that it didn't do so well in the US (but it still got to #6).  There's a very bizarre comment about the performance of "Star People" as a single, noting it was kept off the top by Gary Barlow - "the very man who some say he (George) is trying to emulate".  WHAT?!?

"Customers also listened to" Gravier, Julia Holter and Toby Bourke - errr, OK.  I'm not entirely sure what's going on there, but I won't be bothering to check them out.  I don't visit this album often - Ladies & Gentlemen (his best of) is my normal George destination of choice, but I think this is my favourite studio album of his and it was a pleasure to spend some time with.

15/09/96 - Another fine revisit
29/09/96 - I might be biased here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves