I was taught that boys need girls and girls need boys - you say that's not true

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

27/02/83 : Quick Step And Side Kick - The Thompson Twins


I've got a lot of time for this album - yes, it's VERY 80s, but I think it gets overlooked in the pantheon of 80s classics (and how often do you get to use the word "pantheon" these days?).  I remember it being a strong collection of tracks, but I have to admit to not having listened to it in years, so I could be wearing my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses - let's find out, shall we?

Nope, I stand by my memories - it's really pretty good.  It's got a "fuller" sound than I remember and sounded pretty good over headphones.  The singles are the ones that everyone knows but the other tracks stack up pretty well against them - I particularly like "Judy Do" and "Tears".  I totally appreciate that you need to have a soft spot for the 80s to enjoy this - but I do, so I did.  So if you do as well but this has passed you by, then check it out.  And, miracle of miracles, it was one I owned - well, a home-taped copy anyway keeping us just above the 25% barrier at 12/45.

We're at #2 in the charts this week, which was its high point on its second week of a 33 week run.  It then dropped out of the charts for a couple of months and then came back for another 23 week run - probably the result of the release of the first single from their follow-up album Into The Gap, which contains some monster singles but, it's just occurred to me, I've never actually listened to (which is odd given how much I like this album).  Above it in the charts this week was, who else, Michael - although this is actually his first week at #1, thirteen weeks after its release.  The highest new entry is the Hotline compilation (#17), but the highest "proper" new entry is Steve Hillage (#48).

Wikipedia tells me this is their third album, which somewhat surprised me - but it's their first as a trio, so they obviously had some kind of previous existence that no-one is aware of (amazingly, they formed in 1977!).  It also has a fascinating trivia fact - Grace Jones provides some vocals on "Watching".  You didn't know that now, did you?  It also has a bizarre critics comment - apparently the first side contains songs that can appeal to both black and white listeners.  Errr - OK.  The group's entry also contains something that I know but always find hard to fathom - they played the US leg of Live Aid.  But they were pretty popular over there around that time - but not so much due to this album, although it did OK over there getting to #34 (but I bet that was quite some time after it was released).

"Customers also listened to" The Human League, Heaven 17, ABC, Blancmange and King - all fine 80s names (I loved the King album back in the day) and all of whom have somewhat faded from memory over time.  As have The Thompson Twins, but I'm happy to go into bat for this album - I think it's a fine example of that sort of thing.  And I like that sort of thing.

20/02/83 - One I'd completely avoided
06/03/83 - An extremely forgettable album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves