We'll dance by the light of the moon in the sky

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

17/06/22 : Gold Rush Kid - George Ezra


I am aware of Mr Ezra and have even heard him live (I wasn't quite close enough to see him and didn't quite care enough to move), so I'm expecting an album of faintly cheesy tracks sung by a man with a very deep voice desperately trying to regain the heights of "Shotgun".  And failing.

And I'm partially right.  On the tracks where he's attempting to out-Shotgun himself, he does indeed sound somewhat desperate - "Green Green Grass" is so bad that even my youngest turns her nose up at it.  But, when he's not trying such things, there are some reasonable tunes on there - "Sweetest Human Being Alive" is really quite a decent track indeed (although it is, obviously, still pretty cheesy).  This is the sort of album that will be played an awful lot over the summer - without anyone owning up to putting it on.  I can't say I'm convinced by the album cover though.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week (of course) - apparently it's his third #1 album, which feels wrong because he's only 15 right?  Other new entries in the top 10 are Chase & Status at #4 (which I'd probably have preferred) and BTS at #9 (which I almost certainly wouldn't have).  For no obvious reason, I perused the top 100 albums this week and was somewhat astounded to see Elton John's 1971 album Madman Across The Water (notable only for the presence of "Tiny Dancer") at #53 - it's a 50th anniversary version, but even so...

Back to George, Wikipedia has nothing on the album other than the fact that it's been released - the only new thing I learned is that Ezra is actually his middle name (and he's not actually 15).  "Customers also listened to" Years and Years, Diplo, Ella Henderson and Sigrid - I guess this tells us there's not really a lot of people out there like George.  I was slightly concerned I'd hate this album, so was pleased I didn't - I just found it a bit "try hard" in places.

10/06/22 - Everyone's favourite geography teacher
24/06/22 - It's all a complete mystery to me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves