There's been a lot of talk about this next song - maybe too much talk.

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

27/11/83 : Under A Blood Red Sky - U2


Back in the dim and distant past, U2 used to take themselves somewhat less seriously than they do today.  I mean, they still took themselves pretty damn seriously but, to the average human being, it was almost bearable (we are talking about a long time ago here).  And this album is from those days - I know it well and like it a lot.

I don't really feel the need to say a lot about it though - you're either going to know it (and, in all probability, like it) or nothing in the world is going to convince you to listen to it.  If you're in the latter category, I'd say it's not like later U2 so maybe give it a go?  I do appreciate that's unlikely to change your mind but it comes in at a tight 35:29 (or 35:02, but more on this later), so it's not going to take up much of your time.  My favourite track?  Probably "Gloria" - it's one of the better live album opening tracks or "Sunday Bloody Sunday" which is also very powerful.  It's also a very clever album cover.

This is another one I own - I think I had it on vinyl at some point, but it disappeared and was replaced by a CD copy which gets dug out from time to time and played quite loud, bringing our running total to 4/5.

We're at the lofty heights of #2 this week - with a new entry as well.  It's almost like current times!  It never made it to #1, but did manage 201 weeks on the charts with it last seen in March '88.  #1 this week were the Duran boys, also with a new entry - and we even managed a third one in the top ten with the mighty Status Quo at #9.

Wikipedia has surprisingly little on the album giving how successful it was (sales of over 3 million in the US and over a million here) but does tell me there's an accompanying concert film which I've never seen and suspect I would enjoy.  It also explains that there are two different running lengths because in the original version, Bono sings a snippet from "Send In The Clowns" on "The Electric Co." which they tried to get permission to include - and failed.  And upon failing, they just released it anyway, to which Mr Sondheim went "Hang on a minute - you do remember we refused, right?" so future pressings didn't include it.  And given it was such a successful album, it obviously made it to #1 in loads of countries, right?  Well - only if you count New Zealand as a load of countries...

"Customers also listened to" REM, Springsteen, The Police and Peter Gabriel - a bit of a strange mix, but mostly listenable.  And U2 from these days are most definitely listenable.   It's a bit odd because I don't really consider this to be a "real" U2 album, but conversely it's also one of my favourites of theirs.

20/11/83 - Not the album I'm looking for
04/12/83 - Some fine outfits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves