segassem terceS

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

26/06/83 : Secret Messages - Electric Light Orchestra


We're on a bit of a 70s run here with another one I wouldn't have chosen to listen to - I'm not expecting to hate it, but just find it a bit tiresome.

Well, what I wasn't expecting it to be was bland.  And it very much is.  A lot of it reminded me of Macca's solo output - which is very much not a recommendation.  And with 17 tracks lasting 71 minutes (with the last track being 8:31) it really tried my patience.  And no, there's no danger of either of us having owned this one either - 9/27

We're at #4 with a new entry this week and, despite being rubbish, it still managed to stick around for 15 weeks.  Above it this week were The PoliceMichael Jackson and David Bowie - which is a pretty heavy-hitting top 3 and no mistake.  The next new entry was Jon & Vangelis' Private Collection at #23, which I remember my parents having and it being not at all bad - but thought it might sound a bit dated now.  So I checked it out (and yes, I totally realise I'm going to get into trouble with Mr Stanniland for this) and I'm pleased to report I was totally wrong - it sounds way ahead of its time and there's loads of stuff out there now on the electronic/ambient sonic landscape which owes it a huge debt.

Back to a far less pleasurable album, Wikipedia tells me the album's title refers to a load of hidden backwards messages on the album that Jeff Lynne put there to piss the Americans off because early ELO albums had been the subject of congressional hearings as a result of accusations from Christian fundamentalists.  Amusingly, the back cover of the album had "Warning : Contains Secret Backward Messages" on it, but the Americans got so het up about the whole thing that they had to remove that for the release over there.  All of which has put me in a far better mood about the album - I mean, I still hate it, but at least it had a purpose.  It did OK commercially, but certainly didn't hit their previous heights - it can probably be considered the beginning of the end for the group, although Jeff is still hanging in there even now (somehow!).

"Customers also listened to" a bizarre 70s mix - Roy Wood, The Sweet, Blue Öyster Cult and Cheap Trick.  Just no, thank you very much - along with this album.  Next!

19/06/83 - A well done example of not-my-sort-of-thing
03/07/83 - An album no-one listens to any more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves