Sometimes it's good to be the bigger person - but I'm so small

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

15/05/20 : Petals For Armor - Hayley Williams


Our second visit with the solo efforts of the face and voice of Paramore's and I quite liked the last one, so was looking forward to this.  And I was SUPER happy it wasn't a rap album.

And yeah, I really liked this - it's got a reasonable amount of variety across the album but they're all well-crafted, interesting songs.  "Sudden Desire" jumped out at me, but I liked them all really -  I was reminded of HAIM in quite a few places and St Vincent in others, so if you like that sort of thing then you stand a strong chance of liking this.  Interesting album cover too!

We're at #4 in the charts this week with a new entry and this was the only week it managed before disappearing - it certainly felt like it deserved more than that to me.  Interestingly, I realised I'd not seen her second album on my travels so wondered how it did in the charts - it got to the dizzy heights of #92 and it certainly deserved better than that.  Dua was at #1 this week - her last week at the top spot, but she's still hanging around in the top 20 now, so it's certainly proved its staying power.  Lewis and Drake make up the top 3 and we have one other new entry - Kehlani (#10) with the superbly titled It Was Good Until It Wasn't.  I was also extremely pleased I got to listen to Hayley because otherwise I'd have been listening to D-Day Darlings at #5, which I can totally live without.

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album - most of it is spent explaining that no, Paramore aren't breaking up.  The critics liked it though with it making quite a few "best of 2020" lists and it did OK commercially, getting to #18 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Paramore (nobody expected that), PVRIS (their last album is well worth checking out) and HAIM (well done me!).  I really liked this though and will be making an effort to revisit it and her other solo album, which is also well worth checking out.

08/05/20 - A double surprise
22/05/20 - Different, but not better

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves