Nothing bigger than the umbrella

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

17/04/20 : The New Toronto 3 - Tory Lanez


I've never heard of Tory, but it's going to be rap, isn't it?

Sigh.  Yes.  It's skilful and quite musical in places, but it's really not for me.  He just drones on and on about much he likes to eff them bees - yes I’m an old man but I don’t really see who would listen to this or why.  Having said that, I do like "Pricey And Spicy" as a track title (obviously I didn't like the actual track though)

We're at #4 with a new entry this week - he managed four weeks in total before dropping out.  Above him were Dua (her second week at #1 - not many people do that these days), Lewis (#2) and The Strokes (a new entry at #3) - another surprisingly bearable top three.  And there were no other new entries in the top ten - that's your lot!

Wikipedia tells me this is a mixtape and not an album - silly me for not recognising that.   The critics liked it though and it did well globally, getting to #2 in the US.  His Wikipedia entry is more interesting though - and boy does he sound like a tiresome lad.  His "controversy" with Drake is quite amusing - he basically told everyone he was better than Drake and everyone, including Drake, pretty much ignored him.  He doesn't seem to have done his career any favours by shooting Megan Thee Stallion though - he's awaiting trial and faces 22 years in prison if found guilty.  And, even worse, people have STOPPED STREAMING HIS MUSIC!!!

"Customers also listened to", surprisingly, some people I've heard of - Lil Baby, Big Sean and Future.  Not that I've heard (or am aware I've heard) any of their music though - and that's fine by me.  Just no, I'm afraid.

10/04/20 - An undeniably fine album
24/04/20 - An interesting mixed bag

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves