I dreamed a dream of the bonny

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

01/05/20 : The Bonny - Gerry Cinnamon


Gerry Cinnamon was one of those artists that often got mentioned in the album-of-the-day channel in my old job (I've been in my new one all of two days now!) - in the company he was mentioned I always suspected I'd like him but never actually bothered to check him out.  Until now...

And yeah, I quite liked him indeed - there's some well crafted songs on here with some lovely guitar playing going on.  He's like a slightly more laid back Frank Turner - although I was also reminded quite a bit of The Alarm's debut album Declaration.  Which was released in 1984 - how can it POSSIBLY be that long ago?  And you'd have to say that "Canter", the album's opening track is particularly fine with some classic lyrics

This is the beginning of the rest of your life
You better start grafting cause you're running out of time
The roof is on fire and it's raining outside
But it should be a canter
If you could just find the answer
You know it could be a canter
If you were just a wee bit less of a wanker
More than half of the time

We were at #3 in the charts this week in his second week - and he was at #1 last week!  And he managed a run of 23 weeks - and then another 14 weeks across another 4 runs in the charts!  How did I not know he was that popular?!?  Above him were Dua and Lewis and there was only one new entry in the top ten this week - Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes (#4), which I can tell you absolutely nothing about.  

Wikipedia has remarkably little on an album that was so popular - there's absolutely nothing on the critical reaction at all, which is very unlike Wikipedia indeed.  "Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of - and Gerry Cinnamon's debut album, which has apparently managed 83 weeks on the chart, so I really have to check it out.  Because I liked this a lot - I should have listened to him ages ago.

24/04/20 - An interesting mixed bag
08/05/20 - A double surprise

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves