Those moments just pass you by

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

20/11/20 : Power Up - AC/DC



I am aware of AC/DC (I'm down with the kids, me!) but recent exposure has definitely given me the impression they're suffering from the law of diminishing returns - as far as I can tell, they're still "fine" at what they do, but it's not clear why you'd listen to their recent stuff over their older stuff (and even I like Back In Black).  So I'm not expecting great things from this...

...and, to be honest, I'm not sure it even cleared my lowered expectations.  For me, it's not hateful I guess (and certainly better than last week's experience) but no more than that and no one track stood out above the others for me.  But I'm very much not an expert, so if you like this sort of thing then feel free to disagree with me and we'll just move on.  If you don't like this sort of thing, then there's nothing here which is going to convert you, so I wouldn't bother with it (but you weren't going to anyway, were you?)

We're at #1 in the chart in this week with a new entry - on a ten week run before disappearing entirely, which was more than I was expecting.  Other new entries in the top ten are McFly (#2 - no, wasn't expecting that), Andrea Bocelli (#3 - nope), Paloma Faith (#4 - she's still around?), Andre Rieu (#6 - I'd hate this, wouldn't I?), Sophie Ellis-Bextor (#8 - I have a surprising amount of time for the lass) and Johnny Cash & the RPO (#10 - errr, you know he died 15 years ago, right?).  An interesting mix and no mistake...

Wikipedia has a surprisingly amount on this album (205 milliPeppers) and tells me it's their seventeenth album - and it also includes three members who'd left the group in 2014 for reasons including attempted procurement of murder, possession of meth, hearing loss and various other health reasons.  Life's not dull being in AC/DC now, is it?  No matter what, the critics thought it was OK - but that's nothing compared to what the public thought about it because it reached #1 in 20 countries, including the US.  Madness, I tell you!  

"Customers also listened to" - errr, Maiden, Sabbath et al, anyone?  Yeah, pretty much with a spot of Motorhead thrown in there too.  Personally, I don't see why anyone would bother with this over classic AC/DC but I'm happy to be told I'm wrong (whilst I shrug my shoulders) - but it all felt a bit bland to me (which isn't really a sentence I imagined I'd be typing about AC/DC).

13/11/20 - Nothing to convert the non-believer here
27/11/20 - This is not going on my Xmas list


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves