Is it good to want it all?

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

18/09/20 : The Universal Want - Doves


I like a bit of Doves, but it's hard to believe The Last Broadcast was 20 years ago now!  I did have some concerns this would feel a bit "one more go on the treadmill" but was happy enough to take the risk and hope for the best.

And actually, I think it all sounds pretty good - they still use the same jangly guitar and keyboard noises and they still work pretty well giving a timeless feel to it.  But they've also added some interesting other noises and rhythms to it all here - I think they've done a good job actually.  I can't say any one track jumped out at me - for either good or bad reasons, which suggests a decent quality bar.  It won't be for everyone but if you like that late 90s/early 00s indie sound then it's certainly worth checking this out - I'm also guessing it would sound great in a sunny festival Sunday afternoon slot.  I like the album cover too - even if I've got no idea what's going on!

We're back at #1 with a new entry this week (phew!) - they managed three weeks before disappearing.  Other new entries in the top ten are Everything Everything (#5) and Marilyn Manson (#7) - both of which I suspect I can do without.

Wikipedia tells me this is their first album in ten years - apparently it was very much not a "one more go on the treadmill" effort, just recording stuff when they were all in the mood for it and they all enjoyed the process a lot more as a result.  The critics approved as well and with a #1 album here, it seems like everyone was happy.  Except for the Belgians, who only got it to #120 in the charts.

"Customers also listened to" Gaz Coombes, Cherry Ghost (which is an album I've not listened to in years) and Guillemots - this week has been brought to you by the letters "G" and "C".  This is a much finer album than I was expecting though - it's nice to uncover some unexpected enjoyment for a change.

11/09/20 - An album showing its age
25/09/20 - Well, I didn't hate it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves