Yo rude boy, you don't want beef

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

25/02/22 : Disrespectful - Bad Boy Chiller Crew


Seriously?  I've got to listen to someone called Bad Boy Chiller Crew?  In 2022?!?  Is this a joke?  Well, it turns out they kinda started out that way uploading prank videos to YouTube - the Guardian review says "A typical BBCC song would tether a speeded-up vocal to a rudimentary bassline house beat and subject it to torture by mediocre rapping. At best it sounded like your little brother’s grubby mates squawking about drugs, clothes, cars and girls over a 20-year-old UK garage CD. At worst, pretty much the same".  But it also says this album (or "mixtape" as most people seem to be careful to call it) is a considerable step up in quality, so here goes...

Well, I think it's best if I just say this isn't really aimed at me.  Some of the tracks sampled (heavily in some places) take me back to the when people would be called Bad Boy Chiller Crew unironically, but the rapping over them does absolute nothing for me, I'm afraid.  I suspect they can live with that though - it's not really my approval they're going after here.  And I really don't like that album cover either - let's face facts, I'm old.

We're at #2 in the charts this week - apparently they had a "chart battle" with Ed.  And lost.  I struggle to imagine it'll be hanging around for long, so watch it be the best selling album of the year just to prove me wrong.  Other new entries in the chart were Sea Power (#4) and Metronony (#7) - either of which I'd have preferred to listen to.  But I don't make the rules (yeah, I know I do - but I can't go changing them.  Unless I really need to, of course).

Wikipedia doesn't have anything on the album (sorry, mixtape) and very little on the band.  There's a Pitchfork review out there which is quite amusing, even though it totally fails to answer the important questions like "Who thought it was a good idea to give them cocaine?" and "Why is one of them called Clive?".

"Customers also listened to" - I'm not to know any of these, am I?  Errr - Years And Years, Coldplay, Becky Hill and George Ezra.  None of which make the slightest bit of sense, so I'm not sure what's going on there.  Obviously a lot of people like this, particularly those who have watched all their hilarious videos I'm guessing - but I'm afraid I can't count myself amongst their number.  I'm sure Clive doesn't care though.

18/02/22 - A Brucie bonus for Andris
04/03/22 - Not terrible, but not my cup of tea


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves