These are the days that will flash before our eyes at the end

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts.

11/03/22 : An Hour Before It's Dark - Marillion


So, when I came to listen to the next album to be reviewed (from the depths of 2021) very early this morning and saw it was an offering from Slowthai I decided I REALLY couldn't face it and needed something (anything!) else.  I then remembered that Mr Winkley gave me a like on Facebook yesterday and so decided a Marillion-based Brucie bonus wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (and yes, I am that easily bought)

Actually, I quite enjoy being rude about Marillion to wind up their peculiarly devoted fans, but if I'm being honest then there's not really anything there to dislike and I greatly admire their ability to keep going (43 years and counting) whilst producing a surprising variety of music (unlike some of the other acts I've had the pleasure of reviewing recently).  Just don't tell anyone I'm being nice about them, OK?  Particularly Mr Winkley...

So, basically, my hopes/expectations were "something more bearable than Slowthai" - a low quality bar if ever there was one.

And having listened to it, I'm pleased to report they comfortably soared over that bar - well done them, eh?  However, having praised them for their surprising variety of music over the years, I'd have to say this sounds exactly like I'd expect an identikit Marillion album to sound like.  It's got the expected expansive sonic landscape, swirling guitars and strings and stuff with the addition of portentous vocals which I should probably have paid more attention to than I actually did - I was reminded of Peter Gabriel in quite a few places.  There's certainly nothing wrong with it though and it sounded fine over my headphones as the sun rose through the early morning mist and I thought "well, it's not Slowthai, at least" - but there wasn't a lot to drag me back, I'm afraid.  It was most definitely an improvement over the Stereophonics offering though - you certainly don't get the impression that Marillion are simply going through the motions.  And I like the album cover as well!

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album but does tell me that as part of the album's promotion, several London black cabs were made up in the album's artwork and if you quoted the album name you got a free ride, which is quite neat.  It's also been pretty successful across Europe but seems to be have been somewhat unlucky having got to #2 in Germany and The Netherlands as well as here, but it hasn't made #1 anywhere (yet!).  It also tells me that some of the album was recorded at Peter Gabriel's studio - so maybe that's what I heard.  The band's Wikipedia entry includes the following statement which is mostly definitely the case - "Despite unpopularity in the mainstream media and a consistently unfashionable status within the British music industry, Marillion have maintained a very loyal international fanbase, becoming widely acknowledged as playing a pioneering role in the development of crowdfunding and fan-funded music".

"Customers also listened to" other Marillion albums (there are a few!) and also stuff by Fish and Steve Hogarth - no idea who they might be.  I don't think I'd go as far as saying I actively liked this, but it was perfectly fine and vastly superior to some other offerings from groups from back in the day that I've had to suffer recently.

11/03/22 - One for the fans, methinks
18/03/22 - An indescribable but enjoyable experience

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves