I know your eyes in the morning sun

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

15/01/21 : Greenfields: The Gibb Brothers Songbook (Vol 1) - Barry Gibb



I'm aware of who Barry is, so I was assuming this was him recording some Bee Gee songs - can't say I was expecting too much from it...

...and well, there's a bit more to it than that, I can tell you.  He's recorded Bee Gee songs with country artists giving them a decidedly countryish/soft rock spin.  It's an interesting exercise which generally works surprisingly well although obviously it works better in some places than in others.  I can't say it's exactly my sort of thing but I did like "Too Much Heaven" with Alison Krauss and "To Love Somebody" with Jay Buchanan.  I can't say I'm a huge fan of Barry's voice, but it's not at all bad for a 75 year old.  I'll also say that the album made me want to listen to the original versions as well, so I guess it works doubly well for everyone.

We're straight in at #1 again - it managed 8 weeks on the chart though, which is better than the average.  The only other new entry in the top ten is Passenger at #2 - bizarrely there were only six new entries in the top 100 this week and two of them were called Gold (and of course Abba Gold is still in the top 100 as well).

Wikipedia has more than I was expecting on the album, but most of it is Bazza being nice about his guest stars - surely he must have hated at least one of them?  The critics mostly liked most of the album and it did pretty well in some surprising places - #4 in Germany?  It also got to #15 in the US, but only made it to #3 in the country chart - which gives you an idea of exactly how much they like their country music over there.

"Customers also listened to" Yola (which seems like a strange link), Kiefer Sutherland (ditto) and a load of women called Al(l)ison (Moorer, Russell and Krauss).  All very strange indeed.  As is this album really, but it works a lot better than you might imagine.  But obviously, I'm never going to listen to it again...

08/01/21 - Perfectly fine but mystifyingly popular
22/01/21 - One I feel I should have liked more than I did

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves