Why you only lo-o-ove me when I'm walking away?

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

06/08/21 : Therapy - Anne-Marie



Well, I like Anne-Marie (or "Anne-Marie-singer-over-there" as she's known in our house) - even if it's probably more for all the other stuff she does than for her actual music (she's amusing with Tom Jones on Gogglebox, although somewhat less so with Ed Sheeran).  But I don't mind the stuff I've heard, so - was I going to like this?

Yeah, I thought it was not bad at all - I'd even go as far as saying I enjoyed it.  There's more variety there than that I was expecting - it feels like it would go down well in the US (but obviously went nowhere - possibly because there's too much variety?).  I liked "Kiss My" and "Don't Play" - possibly due to familiarity with them being singles, but I don't like "Our Song" (too soppy for the likes of me!).  Although, having said that, I actually really liked "Breathing" which is a total ballad-fest.  I can't say I'll be rushing back to the album, but I didn't mind it at all and I can see she's totally hitting her core audience.

We're at #4 in the charts this week in her second week on the chart (she was #2 last week) out of 18 in total so far (so she's done better than most we've seen recently).  Ahead of her in the chart were Billie (the highest new entry at #1), Dave and Olivia.  The other new entries in the top 10 are Prince (#5) and Unknown T (#8) - one of whom I could tell you quite a bit more about than the other.  Also in the top 10 this week - Queen's Greatest Hits in its 957th week on the charts (and having a sneak peak ahead I think we're going to see this waaay sooner than I was expecting).

Wikipedia has more than I was expecting on the album, but most of it just seems to say "this album exists".  There are an amazing number of song-writers involved - I lost count somewhere around 40 but there's some heavyweight names in there including Ed, KSI, Rudimental and Max Martin amongst countless others.  The album was well received critically (they definitely preferred it to her first album) and commercially, but didn't hit the top anywhere.

"Customers also listened to" Coldplay, Years And Years, Becky Hill, Little Mix and a load of other such pop names.  I liked this though - there are plenty worse other such offerings out there.  High praise indeed!

30/07/21 - Not my cup of Tetley
13/08/21 - Didn't expect to see him so soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves