One of these is actually really good...

The last selection really did help me to improve my life without really trying, so I'm back to not making an effort

51 If something in the world is making you angry, write (politely) to your MP – they will read it.
The wisdom of this advice depends very much on your MP - I wrote to my previous MP supporting same-sex marriage and she replied "thanks for your letter, but nearly all the letters I've received are against it" which I didn't believe, but it didn't really matter because she'd have voted against it anyway.  So actually, that whole episode just made me angrier.  However, our current MP, Daisy Cooper is lovely (she turned up to talk to my wife's Rainbows unit), accessible, votes in ways that I thoroughly approve of and provides fantastic feedback on her role and actions (far better than any MP I've ever had), so I'll definitely write to her when I'm feeling angry (and I bet she can't wait!)

52 Say hello to your neighbours.
I can't claim to be on first-name terms with everyone in the street, but I do make an effort to wave when I see them and I also go round to introduce myself to people when they move in (and, of course, I then instantly forget their names).  And yeah, I think my life is improved as a result of doing this.

53 Learn the basics of repairing your clothes.
I can sew a button on - does that count?  Any more than that and it's beyond me, I'm afraid.  Would my life be improved if I could do more?  Maybe, but I have to admit I'm a little bit scared of sewing machines so it would be a bit of a step.

54 Always bring something – wine, flowers – to a dinner/birthday party, even if they say not to.
What's a dinner party?  I think I remember them from back in the day but it's all a bit hazy, if I'm being honest.  But taking things when you can go and see people seems like something that everyone can get with, surely?

55 Learn the names of 10 trees.
Yup - I can do this.  And going on a walk and recognising said trees definitely makes you feel like THE MAN, I can tell you.


56 Call an old friend out of the blue.
I understand the sentiment, but if I was to do this, I suspect it would be met with suspicion and awkward silences (I don't do phone calls).  I do, however, email people out of the blue 
every so often - I feel this is an acceptable alternative and I thoroughly recommend it.

57 Every so often, search your email for the word “unsubscribe” and then use it on as many as you can.
This is a great idea.  I've just done it and got rid of five - and I'm not a big subscriber to stuff.  I fully approve!

58 Buy a newspaper. (Ideally this one)
I like the action of reading a newspaper and doing the puzzles using a pen, so I do buy a newspaper (and it won't surprise you to hear it is this one).  I only manage it at the weekend though - I just wouldn't get round to reading it if I got it every day and that's bad for the environment, so The Guardian would be unhappy with me.

59 Always have dessert.
In what way is this blanket rule going to improve anyone's life?  If you're really full, don't have dessert.  If you're in an Indian restaurant, don't have dessert.  If you're out for breakfast, don't have dessert.  Just wrong (particularly the Indian restaurant one - no, no, no!).


60 Drop your shoulders.
This is an odd one.  I doubt that simply dropping your shoulders is going to improve anyone's life - I feel there's a reason (or many) you're all tense and you need to address those and then your shoulders should drop by themselves.  Or have I got this all wrong?

Lots of good ones in here, but the unsubscribe thing wins because I'd never thought of it, it's really easy and it will improve your life.  Unlike always having dessert.

41-50 : Let's all go shopping
61-70 : Variable advice, to say the least

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves