I’ll get out of bed, stop listening to Radiohead

 

Continuing my visit to the top of the album charts with an artist who aren't global megastars - they do exist after all!

21/01/22 : Fix Yourself, Not The World - The Wombats



I've met The Wombats once before - and I enjoyed it (they were unlucky to be grouped with two slightly impressive albums in their round).  So I was hoping for more of the same from their latest offering...

...and it is, and it isn't.   It sounds like they're trying to be more grown up, but I'm not sure I want them to grow up - I compared them to Arctic Monkeys in my previous review and they have followed a similar path in that they now produce music which is way more sophisticated, but I just don't like it as much.  Another part of The Wombats problem is that "Let's All Dance To Joy Division" is such a perfect slice of upbeat pop that I worry they'll never better it.  However, this album is still very listenable though - "If You Ever Leave, I'm Coming With You" in particular is a fine track, with a fine title to boot.  It's just unlikely I'll ever listen to it again.  Sorry lads!

I suspect they don't overly care what I think - this came straight in at #1 outselling the reasonably successful albums we've discussed in previous entries, although I suspect it wont be hanging around in the charts for too long (ah yes - it was #96 in the week after).  However, this is their first #1, so I bet they're pretty chuffed - and I was slightly surprised to see this is their fifth album over a 15 year period!

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album other than that the cover art was done by eBoy (a German-American pixel-art collective, don't you know?).  I'm sure someone will get round to providing a bit more detail at some point in the coming months though, so come back later if you feel the need!  "Customers also listened to" Bastille, Bloc Party and The Vaccines - all of whom I can see a distinct resemblance to in places.  I didn't mind this album and I feel a bit bad for describing it as a disappointment - but it was!  Them's the breaks.

14/01/22 - I quite liked this!
28/01/22 - Just a bit bland really

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves