Desperate people do desperate things. It's as simple as that.

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's Top 50 Movies of 2020...

#19 : Time



Emotional documentary about the battle by Sibil Fox Richardson to get her husband released from a 60-year sentence for armed robbery, and her torment over raising a family that never had a father.

Never heard of the film - I was expecting a powerful and emotional documentary almost guaranteed to get you raging about the injustices built in to the US penal system whilst leaving you feeling "there's not exactly a lot I can do about it though, is there?".  I was hoping for a happy ending though!

What I wasn't expecting was for it to start with some home video from a loooong time ago - this is a story a long time in the making (twenty years, I later learned).  And whilst it's not going to win any awards for content or structure, it's an enjoyable watch showing one strong woman's fight for her family in the face of adversity.  And did I get the happy ending I wanted?  Like I'm going to tell you that!  Obviously, if he was to get out, then that could make for a powerful piece of film-making - but conversely if he wasn't, then that could be powerful as well - and I think it's fair to say that the ending is handled well.  Whatever that ending may be!

The use of black and white throughout gives the film a stylish feel, but when combined with the (often quite sizeable) jumps back and forth through time, it often leaves you unclear wherebouts you are in the story.  If only she'd known how long it was all going to take then she could have included the year whenever she gives the date!   But it's fascinating to see how much people change over the years - there's no doubt that Fox Rich (as she likes to be known) has most definitely always possessed a steely determination, but it shows how she learns how to use it as a force for good to help herself, her family and others.  I'd also have to say the sections with Sibil's mother's are most entertaining - that's one wise old black lady.  She doesn't quite go as far as saying "I told them so" but I'm pretty sure they're all aware of her thoughts on the matter.

I said earlier that I was expecting an emotional film, but I'd have to say that for the most part it takes a remarkably dispassionate view of the situation - I was expecting a lot more anger and, whilst I'm sure it's there, I think it's to the film's credit that it steps back from displaying it.  That leaves you with the impression that the system is only going to engage with the black man when he learns his place - I can't claim to know anywhere near enough about things to know if that's the case, but I can't say I'd be massively surprised if it was.  There is one section towards the end where her frustration gets out (after the umpteenth call to the courthouse to be told there's no news) and I think it works well. 

The system definitely doesn't seem entirely fair with sixty years for armed robbery without the opportunity for parole or probation seeming somewhat harsh - yes, he did a bad thing but the response seems somewhat disproportionate.  Especially since he was offered twelve years as a plea bargain - you can't help but feel an element of "teach the black man a lesson" was involved.  And she got 3.5 years for just driving the car - it's to both her and the film's credit that it makes no attempts to hide or justify her actions.  She did the crime and she did the time - and came out a stronger person, fuelled by a whole load of righteous indignation.   I do think the film would have benefited from a closing section with some statistics to educate me further - it wouldn't make me an expert, but would have fuelled my sense of righteous indignation as well.

Overall, it's an enjoyable watch telling a fine story featuring some very fine people who have endured a whole load - I can't say I'll be watching it again but I certainly don't feel I wasted my time on it.  

At the time of writing, it's available to watch on Amazon Prime - there are worse films on there, certainly!

#20 - Fascinating, disturbing and boring
#18 - A thoroughly depressing film

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves