Well this is what it look like right before you fall

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.04.06 : Transa : Caetano Veloso (1972)

A second album in a row that isn't on Amazon but my Spotify session was still logged in, so all was good and I didn't have to reset my password again (because obviously I've forgotten what I reset it to).  However, I can't say I was approaching the album with any kind of enthusiasm - my last visit with 1970s samba didn't end particularly well with me deciding it was best not to say anything.  And the same is true here.
The channel gave this four thumbs up, but no comments which suggests that maybe I was not alone in my opinion.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say about the album, but does mention it was recorded when your man was exiled in London - and who's not going to investigate more about that?  As far as I can tell though it simply comes down to being popular and not being prepared to say that the Brazilian dictatorship of the time were the best thing ever - all a bit dull really.  Apparently he became popular outside of Brazil in the 80s and 90s - I'd have to say his appeal somewhat passed me by,  He's still with us though and will turn 80 next year - have a good one Caetano!
"Customers also listened to" - again, I'm unable to give you any information, but I can assure you I wouldn't like them.  Let's just leave it that I'm not a sambarista and move on.
21.04.07 : Circles : Mac Miller (2020)

One of the relatively few recent albums that I've previously met - and since I recommended I should relisten to it, I took my own advice.  And again, I wouldn't say I enjoyed the experience but it's an impressive and sad listen so I was "happy" to re-experience it.
The channel gave this six thumbs up, one chefs kiss, some comments around how this was a good "in" for Mac and two leavers.  I didn't look at Wikipedia in the previous write up, so let's take a little look - I'm not expecting it to be much of a giggle though.  But it's not too bad - mostly it's just saying people liked it - #3 in the US and #8 in the UK.  However, my favourite sentence is "Critics have described the album as an hip hop, funk, and emo rap album with elements of soft rock, pop, R&B, lo-fi indie folk, and synth-pop" - which suggests they don't quite know how to describe it.  But I can assure you that I would most certainly not claim to know any better than them.
21.04.08 : Becoming Who We Are : Kings Kaleidoscope (2014)

No idea about this one - no expectations from the name either.  And well, this is a first on the list - I'd guess I'd describe it as "Christian art-pop" ("worship music" appears to be the correct term according to Wikipedia).  It's exactly the sort of thing that would have been invited to play at my school assemblies and people would have taken the piss out of it for months afterwards.  But whilst I can't claim to be the most religious person out there, I like to think I'm slightly more tolerant these days and I've no problems with people celebrating something that makes them happy - particularly when it's done as well as this.  Parts of it reminded me of the circus parts of The Greatest Showman - very upbeat and celebratory, which provided a nice contrast to Mac's slightly more downbeat previous offering.  I would say it did start to drag towards the end of the hour though - but I like the album cover though.
The channel gave this five thumbs up, one heart, two new joiners and one leaver.  Wikipedia has a bit on the album, but most of it is "hmmm - yeah.  wtf is this exactly?".
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of - let's assume that they too produce "worship music".  I wouldn't say I loved this, but I admired their joy and I'm pretty certain they don't really care what I think about it - and fair play to them for that!
Mac takes the round for me - partly for the album (although I'm not entirely sure I'd say I really like it) and partly for his potential, which unfortunately we'll never know whether he'd have gone on to fulfil.
21.03.30 - An honourable tie
21.04.09 - Not the best round for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves