Come in misery where you can seem as old as your omens

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.11.13 : Matador - Gaz Coombes (2015)

I've always nearly liked Supergrass - they have some great tracks and they always seemed like they were having a great time, but most of it just kinda all blended together for me which meant I just kinda ended up in with a "meh" feeling.  And my suspicion was that his solo stuff was going to be slightly lower key, which didn't exactly give me confidence it would stand out for me.  And yeah, he wants to be Jarvis Cocker or Guy Garvey, but he's more Richard Ashcroft (but thankfully without the dubious opinions).  It's "fine", but no more than that for me, I'm afraid.  And I'm really not convinced by the face he's pulling on the album cover.
The channel gave this two thumbs up and a couple of positive comments.  And some consideration as to whether "Caught By The Fuzz" is the best debut single - Rolling Stone says Britney takes it, I think I'd lean towards REM's "Radio Free Europe" personally.  Wikipedia has a few sentences on the album - the impression I get is that some people liked it, some people hated it but nobody bought it.
"Customers also listened to" Guillemots, I Am Kloot and Badly Drawn Boy - all in the same ballpark, certainly.  But this just didn't push any buttons for me.
20.11.16 : The Bones Of What You Believe - Chvrches (2013)

I've always liked Chvrches because the intentional mis-spelling seems like an odd move until you consider that you need to stand out on the internet these days and that really hits the spot for them.  And that was even before I heard this album, which I like very much - "The Mother We Share", "Lies" and "Recover" are the top tracks for me, but they all pretty much hit the spot.  It's also a good album name - I don't give such things enough credit on here (but I am for this one!)
The channel gave this seven thumbs up, several positive comments (including a couple of new converts) and a new joiner - it's a winner!  Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album (234 milliPeppers) although, having read it, I'm not entirely sure how much content there is.  The album was well received both critically and commercially though - #9 in the UK and #12 in the US, which seems like a top result for them.
"Customers also listened to" Ladyhawke, The Naked & The Famous and Passion Pit - all acts I don't know as much about as I should.  Some day, I will investigate them.  But in the meantime, I'll continue listening to this fine album.
20.11.17 : Land Animal - Bent Knee (2017)

Never heard of album or artist, but from the name I was expecting some kind of ambient-ish kinda stuff.  But it's more like ambient having a bad day - as if they've had enough making nice relaxing noises for today and they want to have a bitch about things.  Her voice reminded me of Beth Ditto at times as well.  I'm not entirely sure I liked it, but it was an interesting different sound.  And it's an interesting album cover as well.
The channel gave this nine thumbs up and a couple of positive comments.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album but amusingly tells me that the name of the group is a compound of the founder's name - Ben & (Cour)tney.
"Customers also listened to" The Reign Of Kindo, Closure In Moscow and Thank You Scientist - all of whom have the most fantastic names, but that's all I can tell you about them.  My reaction to this album was more intrigue than enjoyment, but I'd be interested to check out some of their other stuff.
An easy win for Chvrches for me, although Bent Knee was at least an interesting listen.
20.11.10 - A fine and varied selection
20.11.18 - An easy winner for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves