Do they have yoyos in Sierra Leone?

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's Top 50 Movies of 2020...

#34 : The Good Girls (Las Niñas Bien)


Ilse Salas is outstanding in an 1980s-set study of Mexico’s financial meltdown, playing a rich, status-obsessed woman whose privileged life starts to collapse

I couldn't find this at first, but finally managed to track it down.  I can't say I'm overly looking forward to it, but I'm intrigued to watch it because it got some terrible reviews on IMDB!  So here goes...

And it starts at a party which obviously has lots of rich people at it.  But - oh no!  There's a big (and I mean big!) black moth on the wall - apparently it's bad luck to remove them.  Could that be an omen, by any chance?!?  

And well, would you believe it - it is!  Basically, the whole film is one woman's life having a meltdown - but seeing as how the whole country is having a meltdown, it's not all that surprising.  And basically, that's it - I guess you could consider it a bit of a psychological horror, but really it's just a drama telling a story that could happen to anyone when they refuse to accept reality.  Until about 15 minutes from the end, when it all gets a bit unhinged and I had no real idea what was going on.  And then it ends abruptly on a very odd note indeed giving you no idea what was going to happen next.

Ilse Salas is fine in the lead role, but I certainly wouldn't describe her as outstanding.  The rest of the cast are also fine, but it's not like any of the roles appear to be too much of a stretch.  It's filmed well enough and the period nature is done well enough (probably more impressively so if you lived in Mexico in the 80s) but not amazingly so - basically some vintage clothes, cars and tennis rackets and you're done.

And that's pretty much the theme throughout the film - it's all fine but (to me, at least) there's just nothing there to elevate it beyond that.  Except for maybe the odd bits, but I didn't understand what was going on there, so they just seemed odd.  It's all very meh, I'm afraid and I can't imagine why anyone would bother watching it.

At time of writing, the film isn't available anywhere on the usual streaming services - but I struggle to imagine that's going to be much of an issue for anyone.

#35 - An odd film, and no mistake
#33 - A stylish load of old nonsense

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves