Oh why can't we be best friends anymore?

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.10.02 : World Psychedelic Classics 5: Who is William Onyeabor? - William Onyeabor (2013)

Well, this looked intriguing enough even before I read his Wikipedia entry to try and find out the answer to the album's title - and it turns out Wikipedia don't really know either.  I can't say I was entirely au fait with Nigerian psychedelic funk, although I'd have to say it actually sounded quite like I expected it to.  I didn't mind the overall sound and it's certainly got rhythm, but I did find the tracks too long for my liking and I must admit I didn't listen to the extended deluxe version - I decided that 72 minutes was enough and I really didn't need the extra 31 minutes, thank you very much.  I can't say I'll be rushing back to it, but it definitely has a certain vibe to it and was interesting to listen to.
The channel had four thumbs up and a (not entirely serious) complaint about MORE Nigerian psychedelic funk.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say about the album other than noting that getting it released was a struggle which seems unusual given that it's a compilation album, but he was a tricky man to pin down so it took 5 years to pull together.  As his entry notes, he "was a Nigerian funk musician and businessman. His music was widely heard in Nigeria in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but he remained an enigmatic figure, private and reclusive".
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of but I suspect they are YET MORE Nigerian psychedelic funk.  Sigh - you can really have too much of a good thing.  I'd say this was certainly an experience, but one I'm unlikely to be repeating.
20.10.03 : Sad Pig Dance - Dave Evans (1978)

Another older album and I've absolutely no idea what to expect from it, although given it was an offering from Mr Giles, I wasn't expecting Top 40 material (whatever that is these days!).  And well, whatever Top 40 material is these days, I doubt it's this - but I liked it.  There's a lot of finger picking skill on display, although (and it's a personal thing) I always enjoy such things more if I can actually see the skill in action - I also would have preferred not to have a whole album of instrumentals, but that's what I got, so I guess I have to deal with it.  Some of the guitar playing reminded me of Nick Drake, but (to my limited ear) it sounded more dexterous (and sometimes more sinister as well).  I'm really not convinced by the album title, but thank you Mr Giles for an interesting (and completely unknown) recommendation.  It's certainly an "interesting" album cover as well.
The channel had one measly thumbs up, a good laugh about the number of people called Dave Evans out there and, in a direct response to me complaining about not being able to see the skill, a link to him on OGWT which is indeed somewhat impressive.  Wikipedia has nothing on the man or the album, so I thought he deserved a wider Google and found this interesting article and this obituary announcing he died earlier this year - both of which suggest a man who lived his life the way he wanted to, thank you very much.
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, but the impression I get is that they're more instrumental guitar albums, so I suspect I'm unlikely to visit them.  And I can't say I'm likely to revisit Mr Evans, but it's an impressive achievement nonetheless.
20.10.04 : Boys & Girls - Alabama Shakes (2012)

I was pretty certain I'd listened to this back in the day and started off loving it at the start of the album and had got thoroughly bored of the whole thing by the time I got to the end of it - so was interested to see whether I remembered it correctly.  But no, it's a perfectly fine album so I was obviously getting it confused with something else - it's not something I'd seek out, but there's nothing wrong with it if you're in the mood for something blues-rock-lite.
The channel had seven thumbs up, one positive comment and one new joiner.  Wikipedia has surprisingly little to say on the album other than noting it was well received both critically and commercially - top 10 in both the UK and US charts.  Which somewhat surprises me - I think it's an OK album, but nothing to get all that excited about.
"Customers also listened to" Gary Clark Jr (who we've had before and I can definitely see the connection) and Heartless Bastards (who I know nothing about, but their name made me laugh).  Overall I think this is fine, but it's not something I'd naturally drift towards.
Well that was a strange selection of albums and no mistake - it's somewhat odd when Alabama Shakes are far and away the most mainstream artists of the lot.  I can't say I'm likely to revisit any of them but they were all impressive in their own way - I'm given the round to Mr Evans for his obvious skill, but he's somewhat lacking in the lyrics department, so that goes to Brittany and her mates.
20.09.29 - What?  Three albums I liked?!?
20.10.07 - Two old and one not so old!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves