Head up, foot down - speed of sound

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.08.25 : Woman Worldwide - Justice (2018)

Never heard of the album or the artist, but I was guessing dance music or heavy metal.  And it was dance(ish!) music - and about two minutes in my brain went "and they've got to be French, right?".  10 points to me!  Overall, I didn't mind it - not convinced I needed the full 85 minutes and slightly more variety wouldn't have hurt, but there are some good beepy noises on there.  Weird track titles though - "Waters Of Nazareth x We Are Your Friends x Phantom 2" anyone?
The channel liked this - 3 thumbs up and lots of positive comments.  And it also explained the weird track titles because this is some of their previous songs mixed together - it all makes sense now!  I'm sure Wikipedia will also explain this to me - and indeed it does.  In fact, that's pretty much it apart from the fact that this album won a Grammy, so I really feel I should have heard of it and/or them!
"Customers also listened to" Digitalism, Mr Oizo, Orchestre Lamoureux and Soulwax - who I'd strongly suspect of all being French beepy acts if I didn't already know that Soulwax come from the completely not French far-away land of Belgium.  This kind of thing is usually a bit hit or miss for me, but I quite liked this and would be tempted to check out some of their other stuff.
20.08.26 : Walking Like We Do - The Big Moon (2020)

Another "going in blind" album - indie or folk was my genre estimate based upon the band name.  And it's an all-female indie group, which is generally the sort of thing that's right up my street - but it was all a bit understated on first listen for me.  I can imagine that multiple listens (maybe at a higher volume than I'm allowed with other people in the house) might bring out the subtleties - but that's not gonna happen, I'm afraid.
The channel made the point that there's a great summer festival vibe to it and I can totally see that - it was just a shame there were no summer festivals last year for them to vibe at.  But overall, it went down well.  Wikipedia has the following to say about the album - "Walking Like We Do is the second studio album by British indie rock band The Big Moon, released on 10 January 2020 via Fiction Records. The album was recorded in Studio BTS, Atlanta by Ben H. Allen III" - quite why they felt the need to go all the way to Atlanta is unclear.
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of - I'm so not down with the kids these days (for the avoidance of doubt, I have NEVER been down with the kids).  This was an odd one - I feel I should have liked it, but somehow it just didn't push the buttons I was hoping for.
20.08.27 : Technology - Don Broco (2017)

And a third one I know nothing about - the name had me fearing it was going to be terrible hip-hop, so fingers crossed for anything apart from that.  And phew, it's not terrible hip-hop - I think we can safely say it's ROCK!  It's not really something I'm qualified to comment on - it seems like the sort of thing that's liked by the sort of people that like this sort of thing, but I struggle to see what distinguishes it from the field.  So I'll just leave it there - I'm not entirely convinced by the album cover though.
Oh dear - the channel had no thumbs up, no comments and one person left the channel as a result.  It wasn't that bad, surely?!?  Wikipedia has slightly more to say on the matter - but not a lot and nothing of interest other than it got to #5 in the UK charts.
"Customers also listened to" You Me At Six, Lower Than Atlantis and Enter Shikari - bands I'm aware of but fall into the same "what makes this stand out?" category for me.  There was nothing wrong with this and I can see it has its fans but it's just not the sort of thing I'd go out of my way to search for.
Going in, I would have been expecting to give this round to The Big Moon - so them Frenchie Justice people can feel mighty proud of what they've achieved here.  Allez la France!
20.08.20 - An album nearly as old as me!
20.08.28 - The men never stood a chance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves