I dare you to show me your palms

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.07.09 : Homogenic - Bjork (1997)

One I've reviewed before - and although it's not my favourite album of hers, she can do no wrong in my eyes, so that's all there is to say on the matter.
The channel was pretty quiet on this, but gave it a record 7 thumbs up, so their are a few quiet Bjork fans out there.  It then spent a long time trying to guess which particular album from 1992 out of a list of 100 that Evil Robot Narj was thinking of - until it got bored and gave up.  
20.07.10 : Little Dragon - Little Dragon (2007)

Never heard of him/her/them, so had no idea what to expect.  And it was an odd one - I started off thinking "what is THIS?" but found it subtly grew on me and I found myself humming and toe-tapping along before long.  I'm not entirely sure how I'd describe it - a quirky voice over some reasonably simple additional musical accompaniment, sometimes with a strong rhythm and sometimes with no rhythm at all.  But it's an enjoyable quirky voice over some reasonably simple additional musical accompaniment nonetheless.  And it's got an enjoyably quirky album cover too.
The channel liked it as well - and it enticed 3 new joiners, which is the most we've had in some time.  Wikipedia has the following comprehensive information - "Little Dragon is the debut studio album by Swedish electronic music band Little Dragon. It was first released in Japan on 15 August 2007 by Village Again Records, and subsequently in the United Kingdom on 3 September 2007 by Peacefrog Records".  And that's it.
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of but I liked this and intended to check out some more Little Dragon at some point.  And then someone picked another of their albums today on #AOTD, so that happened a lot sooner than I was expecting!
20.07.13 : Ladies And Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space - Spiritualized (1997)

Spiritualized were always one of those bands I thought I should like because everyone raved about them, but when it came down to it, I just didn't - but I was interested to revisit after "a few" years to see if my opinion had changed.  And nope - it's just a bit of a blurry mess to me.  So, I'll keep on not liking them if that's OK with you.
I knew the channel was going to go for this - it does like a blurry mess!  And as expected there were 5 thumbs up and a couple of positive comments.  Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album, most of which tells me I'm totally wrong with the critics all loving it - although I did have to laugh at one of them saying it was "a worthy effort consumers attuned to its overriding aesthetic or individual vision may well like" which I would phrase somewhat differently as "you'll like it if you like this sort of thing".  The record buying public also loved it and it got to #4 in the UK, which totally passed me by at the time.  It also tells me that the album was made after the singer and keyboard player split up - and it appears the reason for this break up was that she married someone else (Richard Ashcroft from The Verve), which I guess is the sort of thing that would probably put a stop to most relationships.
"Customers also listened to" The Beta Band (who are another band I feel I should like, but don't), Pavement (who I REALLY don't like) and my bloody valentine (who I like, but don't see the connection with this at all).  As I said, this was just a bit of a blurry mess for me.
I liked Little Dragon more than I expected, but they were never going to beat the mad-as-a-box-of-frogs Icelandic squawkstress, I'm afraid.
20.07.06 - Not a great selection
20.07.14 - A varied mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves