We must sink before we float

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.04.02 : Act IV - Rebirth In Reprise - The Dear Hunter (2015)


Snappy title!  And a pun in the band name - sigh.  Going in blind again - it's like I've never listened to music in my life.  And this is an odd one - hard to describe really.  It reminded me of Mika but without making me want to punch anyone in the face, so I guess I have to thank them for that.  It also reminded me of Arcade Fire or The Decemberists, with the rougher edges smoothed off and replaced by musical theatre (Glee would have a field day with some of these tracks but I, for one, would not be tuning in to watch them) - it's not really my kind of thing but it passed me by in a melodic enough way, although at 74 minutes long, the album did somewhat outstay its welcome.  I did quite like "A Night On The Town" and "The Squeaky Wheel" though - they managed to engage me and get my toes tapping.  They also get bonus points for calling a track "Ouroboros" and it's a fine album cover as well.

The channel liked it and 4 people joined to experience the joy - the overall verdict was "theatrical Floyd" (no - wait, it's not that bad!).  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say about the album, giving the impression it was a bit of a surprise release (but one which was announced 6 months beforehand, so not really that surprising).  It's part IV out of VI, with part VI still to be released - but this album has been the most successful commercially, getting to #39 in the US.  Wikipedia doesn't comment on its critical success - it feels to me like it would have gone down well, but I guess we'll never know!

"Customers also listened to" some bands with fine names - Closure In Moscow, Honorary Astronaut, Rope And Ladder and Thank You Scientist.  And I can't tell you anything about any of them - feel free to investigate them and let me know!  I guess this was OK, but I don't overly feel the need to check out any more of their albums.

20.04.03 : There Is Only You - The XCERTS (2014)


And another one I know nothing about - this is much more of a magical mystery tour than I was expecting.  Ah - some "rawk".  Which is a genre the younger me was much more interested in than this decidedly older version - I found it mostly "fine" but think it unlikely I'll ever feel the need for a whole album of it.  With my limited knowledge, it reminded me of Biffy but I'm probably being ridiculously reductive there.  Having said that, I liked "Live Like This" - the obvious highlight for me and it both got a relisten and went on to my general playlist.  An interesting enough diversion and I can see that those that like that sort of thing will love it, but I won't be revisiting it.

The channel actually had some negative things to say about this album - it was too poppy for people's artistic tendencies (OK - maybe I won't pick Shawn Mendes when it comes to my turn then).  Two people joined the channel to experience the poptasticity - but one of them took one look, turned on his heels and left.  Wikipedia graces the album with two sentences, noting it's their third album, its release date and it got to #96 in the UK album chart and #8 in the rock chart.  And that's your lot!

"Customers also listened to" a load more bands with fine names that I can't tell you anything about - Fighting With Wire, We Are The Ocean, The People The Poet and Kids In Glass Houses.  Again, this falls into the "OK, but no need to hear it ever again" bucket for me.

20.04.06 : Foolishman - The Correspondents (2017)


Another album I was unaware of to complete the holy Trinity of Ignorance - I wonder what we're going to get here?  And having listened to it, I'm not entirely sure how I'd describe it.  I would describe the music as "fine" - not hateful but nothing to set the world on fire either (parts of it reminded me of Level 42, which isn't exactly a recommendation).  And on top of this perfectly acceptable music, you have some very dense lyrics which you really have to concentrate on in order to work out what he's going on about.  And whilst you're working that out, he's not hanging around for you to catch up, I can tell you.  The overall effect is somewhat peculiar - it felt a bit like a cabaret night for witty linguists.  I can't say I particularly liked it, but I also didn't hate it - except for "Pelo Amor" which I found so annoying I made a special note to myself to remember to comment on it.  It also has a very odd, slightly scary album cover.

The channel was mostly positive on this, although I'd have to say it was sold very hard by the proposer with links to videos and everything!  And the net effect on the outside world was absolutely nada, with no-one joining or leaving in response to the hard sell.  Wikipedia doesn't deign to talk about the album, but it does describe the band as a "British electro swing duo", which isn't a description I imagine draws the crowds in.  It also somewhat unfortunately tells us that "The project was retired on 20 October 2020 after Bruce published a status on The Correspondents' Facebook page stating that Cole had died unexpectedly of a pulmonary embolism a few days prior" - jeez, the poor guy was only 35. 

"Customers also listened to" a third set of splendidly named bands - The Real Tuesday Weld, Bear Ghost, That Handsome Devil and Caravan Palace - which again I can tell you nothing about.  And this album will also be joining the previous two in the "thanks, but no thanks" bin.

So, all in all, not the finest round for me.  I think The Dear Hunter probably had the most impressive album but I can't forgive them for making it 74 minutes long, so I'm giving the winners medal to the unpopularly poppy XCERTS, mostly for "Live Like This" which was my favourite track from the set.

20.03.30 - Some people I've heard of!
20.04.07 - Some albums I've actually heard before!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves