So, did they miss anything?

Having agreed that the whole idea of creating a list of the 500 greatest albums is absolute nonsense - what was missing from the list?  (I should warn you it's possible this post is one for the completists only)


OK - let me firstIy say that I totally appreciate I'm coming at this from a very white, English-speaking, 80s/90s viewpoint - and there are undoubtedly loads of great albums I've never even heard of that are fully deserving of a place on the list, but I'm not in a position to comment on them, so please forgive my ignorance of them.  Additionally, my view on omissions is obviously a very UK-centric view in the way that the overall list is very US-centric.  However, to be fair, I would say there were probably more UK albums on the list than I was expecting - and some of the UK choices made were somewhat surprising (eg I certainly wasn't expecting to see Belle & Sebastian on the list)

Missing/under-represented genres

  • Dance
    This is the big blind spot for me - it appears that a load of great artists and albums were not even considered e.g. Orbital, The Orb, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, The Prodigy have all produced absolutely classic albums and there's no sign of any of them.  Or if you wanted to go a bit more left field then what about Leftfield (see what I did there?), Disclosure, Aphex Twin, Air, Underworld (who I have a big soft spot for) - it doesn't feel like we're even scratching the surface here.
  • Female singer songwriters who aren't Joni Mitchell or Fiona Apple.
    There are a few others on the list, but it just feels like they could have spread the love around a bit more to me - no Suzanne Vega, Natalie Merchant (with or without her Maniacs), Aimee Mann, Regina Spektor, etc, etc, etc.
  • Newer folk
    "Folk" is a very broad category and there's an argument it's reasonably well represented, but a lot of the stuff is old, old, old.
  • "Modern" rock
    I'm not 100% convinced there's an argument here - but it feels like "rock" (whatever that is) isn't very well represented from this century.  There really isn't an awful lot like Biffy, Foos, Kings of Leon, QOTSA, Muse on the list and it's not a genre I know that well so there must be a million other candidates.

Missing artists who I would have expected to see

These are listed in the order I thought of them - no weighting should be considered to be attached to any particular artists (but obviously some have better arguments than others!)

  • Duran Duran
    I think there's a very good argument that Rio deserves a place on the list, but give me a few drinks and I'll make a surprisingly persuasive (to me, at least) argument for Seven And The Ragged Tiger.  OK, we'll just stick with Rio then - and it's surprising it's not on the list because they were massive in the US.
  • The Streets
    It's not for everyone but there are very good arguments to be made for both Original Pirate Material and A Grand Don't Come For Free, both of which hang together really well as albums - particularly the latter for me.
  • John Mellancamp
    Lonesome Jubilee (which is an absolutely fantastic album) would seem to fit in very well on this list - or I'd be happy enough with Scarecrow (although it's obviously an inferior choice)
  • Celine Dion/Garth Brooks
    I can't say I'm a massive fan of either of them, but if I was them I think I'd feel quite miffed that their immense record sales aren't recognised.
  • Prefab Sprout
    Steve McQueen is the obvious choice for most, but there's also a very good argument for Jordan - The Comeback which works very well as a collection of varied songs linked by a number of themes running through them all.
  • The Fats Twins
    Given how some artists appear to be included specifically for their influence then I feel Messrs Domino and Waller probably have cause for complaint at their exclusion.
  • Common
    I'm not a huge hip-hop fan, but even I know that Common is viewed as one of the more innovative artists out there.  And no, I'm not saying we needed more hip-hop on the list...
  • Throwing Muses
    Yes, it's a personal peeve how they're not loved as much as they should be but I still believe it to be true - The Real Ramona is way better than either of The Pixies entries for me.
  • Foo Fighters
    Three entries for Nirvana, but none for the often far more listenable and better crafted Foo material.
  • Gary Moore
    A suggestion from Mr Perry which certainly warrants some consideration - there's not a lot of blues on the list and very little of it is younger than me.  And his Wikipedia page is also a thing of beauty!
  • Glen Campbell
    It feels like he earned his place on the list (he played on quite a few of the albums) - although I suspect 20 Golden Greats would have been the chosen album and I would have had to declare it unsuitable for consideration.
  • Joan Baez
    I can't declare myself her biggest fan, but she seems a surprising omission from the Woodstock crowd who seemed to make up a large proportion of this list.  And my mum likes her, so she gets my vote for that reason alone.
  • Marillion
    No, of course I don't think they deserve a place on the list - I'm only mentioning them here to annoy Mr Winkley.
  • Ed Sheeran
    I'm not his biggest fan (I refer to him affectionately as "Bloody Ed Bloody Sheeran") but there can be no discounting the musical impact he's had - even if it's just that they had to change the charts to prevent this from ever, ever happening again.
  • Phil Collins
    No Jacket Required isn't everyone's cup of tea, but is a much finer album that at least 50% of the albums on this list.  And people are always going to argue for Face Value on the strength of "In The Air Tonight" alone.
  • Genesis
    It feels like one of their earlier albums or Invisible Touch (which was massive in the US) might well have made the list.

Missing artists who I would have liked to have seen

A collection of (mostly UK) artists that I realise were unlikely to make the list, but have at least two albums worthy of consideration in my opinion.

  • Elbow
    Asleep At The Back/Cast Of Thousands/The Seldom Seen Kid/Leaders Of The Free World
  • Billy Bragg
    Life's A Riot With Spy Vs Spy/Workers Playtime/Talking With The Taxman About Poetry/Don't Try This At Home
  • Lily Allen
    Alright Still/It's Not Me, It's You/Sheezus
  • Del Amitri
    Waking Hours/Twisted/Some Other Suckers Parade
  • Beth Orton
    Central Reservation/Trailer Park/Daybreaker
  • Deacon Blue
    Raintown/When The World Knows Your Name
  • Suede
    Suede/Dog Man Star/Coming Up
  • Big Country
    The Crossing/Steeltown/The Seer
  • Talk Talk
    It's My Life/Spirit Of Eden
  • The Charlatans
    Tellin' Stories/Some Friendly/Wonderland (Melting Pot is also a very fine "best of")
  • Florence And The Machine
    Lungs/Ceremonials
  • The Pogues
    Rum, Sodomy & The Lash/If I Should Fall From Grace With God (again, their "best of" is a fine listen)
  • Rilo Kiley
    The Execution Of All Things/More Adventurous/Under The Blacklight
  • Muse
    Absolution/Origins Of Symmetry/Black Holes And Revelations
  • The Decemberists
    The King Is Dead/Picaresque
  • Tracey Thorn
    Out Of The Woods/Love And Its Opposite
  • Natalie Merchant
    Tigerlily/Ophelia/Motherland
  • 10,000 Maniacs
    In My Tribe/Blind Man's Zoo/Our Time In Eden
  • Suzanne Vega
    Suzanne Vega/Solitude Standing
  • Aimee Mann
    Bachelor No. 2 or, the Last Remains of the Dodo (and yes I know it's only one album, but it's so good that I've never bothered to listen to any of her other ones)
  • Regina Spektor
    Begin To Hope/Far
  • Roisin Murphy
    Ruby Blue/Overpowered/Roisin Machine
  • And all those dance artists I listed above...
    ...but I'll be here all year if I try to pick out specific examples!

Artists who were there, but not with the albums I'd have picked

  • Different Dire Straits
    Brothers In Arms was there and is the obvious choice commercially, but Love Over Gold is a much more criticky choice (and a much better album).  And, despite my misgivings on the presence of live albums on the list, Alchemy really is a very fine album indeed.
  • More/different REM
    I'd probably swap Murmur out and put Reckoning in instead and I'd make a strong argument for Green or Document being included, although I suspect more people would go for Out Of Time, which is an argument I'm prepared to listen to.  Although, to be honest, I'm prepared to listen to arguments for most REM albums.
  • More George Michael
    It was nice to see Faith on the list, but there are equally good arguments for both Listen Without Prejudice and Older (both of which have some outstanding tracks on them).  Also, I know we're not allowing greatest hits albums, but "Ladies And Gentlemen" has got to be one of the best out there.
  • Bowie - Blackstar
    I'm not making the argument we need more Bowie, but I think there's a good argument that Blackstar is a great album, particularly given the somewhat unfortunate circumstances of its release.
  • Different Billie Holiday
    She got one album on the list, but it didn't feel a very representative album to me - I would like to have seen something more in the style which she was best known for.
  • Different Arctic Monkeys
    Rolling Stone went with AM but I'd have gone for WPSIATWIN (as we call it in the trade) which was like a breath of fresh air at the time.
  • Different PJ Harvey
    I would have gone for Let England Shake instead of Rid Of Me (but Google tells me I'm in a minority here)
  • Different Abba
    Yes, I can understand they feel like a "greatest hits" kind of a band, but if you look at some of their albums they're packed with hits.  Arrival or SuperTrouper probably would have got my vote - both fine albums.
  • Different Kacey Musgraves
    It's obviously down to personal preference, but if I'd only been allowed the one Kacey album, I'd have totally gone for Same Trailer Different Park - but would have settled for Pageant Material as well above Golden Hour.

Missing albums

Again, not listed in any particular order - a combination of ones I would have expected to see and ones I would have considered a pleasant surprise to see.

  • Raw Like Sushi - Neneh Cherry
    I don't think this album gets nearly enough kudos for its place in history - and she is a DUDE!
  • Duck Rock - Malcolm McLaren
    I don't massively like this album but there's a very good argument that it's influential and EXACTLY the sort of thing Rolling Stone would love.
  • High Land Hard Rain - Aztec Camera
    A fine album, and Roddy was barely out of kindergarten when he wrote it.
  • American Pie - Don McLean
    This feels like serious omission to me - and I was surprised Rolling Stone missed the opportunity to mention the title track was about Buddy Holly's death.
  • Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf
    It's not to everyone's taste, but I think there's a good argument the third(ish) best selling album of all time is way greater than a lot of albums that are on the list.
  • Going Blank Again - Ride
    The peak of shoegaze for me rather than Loveless.  Yes, I'm a heathen.
  • Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens
    Not a favourite of mine, but I'm amazed not to see it on the list because the critics LOVED it.
  • Silent Shout - The Knife
    Another critics favourite, but this one I liked!
  • As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt. 2 - 2ManyDJs
    Something slightly different, but this is actually a really well put together mix of samples and mash-ups.  The Destiny's Child/10CC mash-up really is a thing of beauty - worth the price of the album on its own.
  • Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
    I'm AMAZED not to see this one on the list - I think this is a serious omission.
  • Maxinquaye - Tricky
    Massive Attack had a couple of albums on the list which I was pleased to see, but Tricky took it deeper in an album which was very ahead of its time.
  • Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa
    If you want to include something recent, go for this waaaaay before you go for Harry Styles (even though I liked Harry about a million percent more than I was expecting).  But Dua beats him easily in the great recent album stakes...
  • Radio KAOS - Roger Waters
    I think this is actually a good concept album (and that's not a common occurrence) - and way more accessible than some of the Floyd entries.
  • Stanley Road - Paul Weller
    Should be present for "You Do Something To Me" alone which our first dance at our wedding - and who needs a better reason for inclusion than that?
  • Woodface - Crowded House
    OK, they're from the southern hemisphere, so they never really stood a chance, did they?  But it's still a fine album.
  • This Is The Sea - The Waterboys
    Just a good album - and again, different from most of the rest of the stuff on this list.
  • Urban Hymns - The Verve
    OK, so it "only" sold 1 million in the US but it sold 3 million over here which is a fair few...
  • Debut - Bjork
    If you're going to put Post and Homogenic on there (neither of which I have any argument with), I think you need to include this as well.
  • August And Everything After - Counting Crows
    They're not to everyone's taste, but it's a polished album with some fine songs on it.
  • Hot Fuss - The Killers
    OK, so maybe we just play the first side twice, but I suspect we'd get away with it.
  • Reckless - Brian Adams
    Not a cool choice, but there are some very fine tracks on there.  

And some other random albums I'd have voted for knowing they'd never ever be included

  • Words - Nerina Pallot
    Sometimes things just come together and this is one of those times.
  • Cassadega - Bright Eyes
    This is a cool album with some very fine tracks on it.
  • Scribbled in Chalk - Karine Polwart
    One of them new-fangled folk albums I was talking about.
  • The Family Jewels - Marina & The Diamonds
    Yeah, this one was never going to make it, was it?  But I like it a lot.
  • Northern Star - Melanie C
    No room for The Spice Girls on the list (obviously!) but this is a fine solo spin-off
  • Carnavas - Silversun Pickups
    American shoe-gazing - surely that ticks two boxes?
  • Throwing Copper - Live
    Another fine, not so well known album.
  • La Roux - La Roux
    Yeah, this is a hopeful one but it's a fine album and very different from most of the other entries on the list (except for Robyn)

And FINALLY (and yes, it really is finally this time), I'm going to point you at this because I thought it said some of the stuff I was thinking but was struggling to put into words - although I can't claim to agree with all of it (eg writing it all off as a listicle seems harsh - I agree it's a pointless exercise, but it's not clickbait).  It also points us at this, the 150 greatest albums made by women, which feels like it might be a pleasing antidote to some of the 70s maleness which has been firmly on display throughout this list.  I don't think I'll be attempting another music list for a bit though - instead I'll just go and revisit some of the albums I've listed above.

Thanks y'all!

100-1 - The final write-up (well, apart from this one)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves