You and me Sunday driving, not arriving

Continuing my trip up Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time...

#343 : Greatest Hits - Sly And The Family Stone (1970)


Sly and the Family Stone created a musical utopia: an interracial group of men and women who blended funk, rock, and positive vibes. Sly Stone, the Family mastermind, was one of the Sixties’ most ambitious artists, mixing up the hardest funk beats with hippie psychedelia on hits such as “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin).” Greatest Hits ranges from gospel-style ballads (“Everybody Is a Star”) to rump shakers (“Everyday People”).

So I see they've given up even pretending they're not considering greatest hits albums now.  I actually have quite a lot of time for Sly and his family - they're not so prone to over-funk matters, unlike some of their contemporaries.  There are some great tracks on this album - particularly "Everyday People", which WIkipedia tells me has been covered by (amongst others) Joan Jett and Jeff Buckley, which is quite a range!  But I'm afraid I can't consider this album as valid for this list.

Wikipedia agrees it's a fine GREATEST HITS album - more interesting entries are to be found for the band and for Sly Stone (although "For the actor known as Sly Stallone, see Sylvester Stallone"!).  It's somewhat sad that Sly Stone has followed the well-trod path of funky frontmen of, shall we say, "eccentric behaviour" - the internet is unclear as to where he is now or how he's doing, but there are some signs of hope.  "Customers also listened to" more soul groups than funk groups actually - whatever they are, they've done some fine tracks and this is a fine, but invalid, album.

#342 : Let It Be - The Beatles (1970)


Let It Be is the sound of the world’s biggest pop group at war with itself. John Lennon is at his most acidic; George Harrison’s “I Me Mine” is about the sin of pride. Only Paul McCartney sounds focused, as if the title song were his personal survival mantra. The original concept was a live-in-the-studio album and film, begun in January 1969, that left the Beatles so weary that they abandoned the project to make Abbey Road. Phil Spector went back to the tapes later, sweetening ballads like “Across the Universe” and “The Long and Winding Road.”

I've actually heard remarkably few Beatles albums, but I remember my mum picking this one from somewhere for me because she thought I might like it.  At the time, I liked most of the tracks, but thought the album was a bit of a mess - and whilst I still think the intro and various other spoken links are just a bit "wtf were they thinking?", I don't think they ruin the album.  There are undoubtedly some great tracks on here - "Two Of Us", "Let It Be" and "The Long And Winding Road" are probably my highlights (there's a great "Two Of Us" cover by Aimee Mann & Michael Penn with some beautiful harmonies on it out there - well worth checking out).

The Wikipedia entry for the album is surprisingly short and seems to be obsessed with the Get Back mixes of the album and then slagging off what Phil Spector did - I suspect some bias may be involved.  Personally, I didn't find the production excessive (which is somewhat of a surprise given our Phil's history for such things).  I didn't even bother looking at the entry for The Beatles or for any of the lads - I suspect I'll get further opportunities later.  "Customers also listened to" a load of famous guys from that era - no obvious connecting theme otherwise.  Overall, I think this album is pretty good - it feels like it gets slagged off for no good reason to me, but maybe when I get to hear some of the others I'll understand.  I also loved the haircuts on the album cover - although as I type this, I'd have to say my lockdown locks are distressingly similar.

#341 : Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins (1993)


“All these alternative bands today are so high up on their punk-rock horse that they’re in denial about being huge and playing big shows,” Billy Corgan told Rolling Stone in 1994. “Not only do we respect the clichés, we see the truth in them.” On their second disc, the Pumpkins pushed further from Nineties alt-rock to a grander, orchestrated sound with multiple guitar parts, strings, and a Mellotron. Alt-rock ended up following the band on its trip: Siamese Dream is packed with hits (“Cherub Rock,” “Today”).

Smashing Pumpkins are one of those groups I've tried to like on several occasions but never quite managed it (see also - Pearl Jam) but, dear reader, I bravely gave it one more go.  And whilst I liked some of the tracks in isolation, when it put it all together my brain just zones it out so, it's still not for me, I'm afraid.  But I can't really explain why - the guitars feel like they should be right up my street, but it just feels to me to be missing something.  It's not a "hate" though...

Wikipedia tells us it wasn't exactly the happiest of recording sessions and Billy doesn't come out of it sounding like the nicest person, but I have a suspicion he doesn't care.  and 4 million sales in the US (and surprisingly high sales in Canada, for no obvious reason!) suggest the album clicked with a lot of people.  The band's Wikipedia page suggest they've broken up and reformed more times than I've had hot dinners - Jimmy Chamberlin, the drummer, has 4 distinct timelines where he has been a member of the group.  "Customers also listened to" Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden - both of whom I'd completely forgotten even existed!  But I feel my days of trying to like Smashing Pumpkins are probably behind me now (unless I'm forced to retry Melon Collie further up this list).

The Beatles were by no means a shoo-in for this round but it's certainly the one I'm most likely to listen to again and I'm somewhat mystified by the amount of hate out there for it - I suspect I'd have a different view if I'd lived through the era, but I didn't because I'm so young!

#346-344 - All good, but that doesn't mean I actually liked them
#340-338 - Not a lot in common between this lot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves