Can you surry, can you picnic?

Continuing my trip up Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time...

#464 : 3+3 - The Isley Brothers (1973)


The Isley Brothers ballooned from a trio that impressed the Beatles to a six-piece band on 3 + 3, which helped establish them as a funk force in the 1970s. The hit “That Lady” is stuffed with laser-bright guitar solos, and the slow numbers (including a cover of James Taylor’s “Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight,” in which Ron Isley unfurled his heartbreaking falsetto and forceful midrange) hint toward the band’s bright future as pre-eminent balladeers in R&B’s Quiet Storm era.


Now, when I really think about it, I know who The Isley Brothers are and so I was expecting a fat slice of funk.  Unfortunately when I don't think about it, I get them confused with The Everly Brothers and that does result in a minor brainstorm or two.  But, of course, what we've got here is a fat slice of funk.  It's very much of its time - like John Shaft has come round and taken control of your stereo - but there's an undeniable craft to it.  I like the singles "That Lady" and "Summer Breeze" but I did find the whole album a little too much funk for my tastes.


What I never realised was how long The Isley Brothers have been going - here am I saying they were very much of their time, but this album (which feels peak Isleys from my limited knowledge) was their 11th album, 14 years after they formed in 1959!  And the last album they released was in 2017 - I have a suspicion the line-up might not have been exactly the same!  "Customers also listened to" Bootsy Collins and Isaac Hayes - there's enough funk there to power a large city!  Overall, nice to hear every so often - but not too often or not too much for me, thank you very much.

#463 : Eli And The Thirteenth Confession - Laura Nyro (1968)


Part confessional singer-songwriter and part would-be soul diva, Nyro was never an easy one to categorize. Her dazzling second album came the closest to blending both of her musical selves. Her pop instincts shine in the best-known songs here, like “Eli’s Comin’” and “Stoned Soul Picnic.” But the rest of the album finds her less restrained lyrically and musically, making for sensuous and often sexually ambiguous music that paved the way for many genre-busting female troubadours.


I had heard of Laura Nyro and had the suspicion she'd fall into the "female singer-songwriter I like" category, so had high hopes for this album - although for some weird reason, I thought she was a 90s artist (no idea where that came from!).  Unfortunately, on this album at least, she falls into the "female singer-songwriter I don't mind" category - it's got a bit too much of a jazz/cabaret edge for my liking.  I did quite like her voice though and she sings well - it reminded me of Carole King with a bit of an edge (and unfortunately for Laura, I really like the smoothness of Carole's voice!).  There was also a touch of the Billy Joel about her, who's a performer I really like on some of his stuff and can't quite get on other stuff and I have a suspicion that Laura falls into the same category.


I enjoyed the Wikipedia entries for both the album ("On Nyro's insistence, the album's lyric sheet (which itself was a rarity for records in 1968) was perfumed, and fans have reported that it still has a pleasant scent"!) and for her - she had an interesting life (tragically, she died from ovarian cancer at the age of 49).  A lot of later singers cite her as an influence and a forgotten treasure - possibly part of the reason that she isn't so well known is that she didn't like appearing on television, turning down multiple high profile opportunities.  "Customers also listened to" Judy Collins and Janis Ian, both of whom I can see strong links to and I'm pleased I got this opportunity to check out some of her stuff, even if this album didn't immediately grab me.  I was however intrigued by it enough to check out the follow up album (New York Tendaberry) and, at first listen, this seemed to engage me more so I hope to explore more of her stuff at some time.


#462 : The Gilded Palace Of Sin - The Flying Burrito Brothers (1969)



A landmark of country rock — or, as Gram Parsons called it, “cosmic American music.” He and Chris Hillman were a pair of ex-Byrds who’d flown the coop. The Burritos put their poetic twist on hillbilly twang, proudly wearing Nudie suits and bringing in the pedal steel guitar of Sneaky Pete Kleinow. “Boy, I love them,” Bob Dylan told Rolling Stone. “Their record instantly knocked me out.” They sing “Sin City” in high-lonesome two-part harmony, sounding like country boys lost in the decadence of Sixties L.A.; “Wheels” is God-fearing hippie soul.


I was vaguely aware of The Flying Burrito Brothers, but wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this album.  "Country rock" sounds like the sort of thing I could like or I could hate, so the jury was out.  And having listened to it, I think it's safe to say the jury is still deliberating.  I generally liked it, "Sin City" and "Do Right Woman" being good examples of the overall sound but some bits were perfectly dreadful (if you stop before listening to "Hippie Boy", you'll thank me).  Given that it's a mere year younger than me, I'd say it generally sounds surprisingly undated.


I was intrigued to hear "Hot Burrito #1" because I was only aware of the Belly version (which I prefer) and, not being aware it was a cover version, had always wondered why Tanya Donnelly (who seems a generally sensible sort) would have given a track such a stupid name - so I guess that's all cleared up now.  I also enjoyed listened to "The Dark End Of The Street" - whilst I was aware it was a cover version, I wasn't aware who recorded it first and some Wikipedia-based research told me it was first done by James Carr, who I wasn't aware of but after checking it out, I'd say he has a lovely voice.  The list of artists who've also covered it is a thing of beauty - Aretha Franklin, Richard Thompson, Deacon Blue, Elvis Costello, Frank Black, Eels, Cat Power and many, many more!  I can imagine some of them are particularly "interesting" (although the Deacon Blue one isn't nearly as bad as you might fear).


And whilst we're in Wikipedia, it would be remiss of me not to direct you here which covers the completely unbelievable but nonetheless true story of what happened after Gram Parson's death, with the following snippet being my particular highlight


Upon reaching the Cap Rock section of the park, they attempted to cremate Parsons' body by pouring five gallons of gasoline into the open coffin and throwing a lit match inside. What resulted was an enormous fireball. The police gave chase but, as one account puts it, the men "were unencumbered by sobriety," and they escaped.


The whole entry for Gram Parsons (real name Ingram Cecil Connor III) is well worth a read, but isn't a trivial undertaking - for a man who died at 26, he certainly had a fascinating life (and death) of which The Flying Burrito Brothers are only a small part.  "Customers also listened to" The Byrds which is unsurprising given that Gram Parsons was a member and Dillard & Clark, who I'd never heard of but are also made up of ex-Byrds.  So whilst I wasn't grabbed by the album, it's proved to be an excellent and enjoyable education.


Despite the fact that I didn't absolutely love any of these albums, I'd say this is one of the strongest selections for a while and all of them have resulted in a great deal of personal enjoyment and musical education.  I'm giving Laura the win for future potential - hopefully I'll remember to investigate to see if she's fulfils it.


#467-465 - A surprising winner
#461-459 - Three unexpectedly pleasant surprises



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves