Nameless, blameless, innocent and free - tell me, what's that like to be?

Back in the day, Our Price used to have a bargain bin for the stuff they couldn’t flog off at their usual extortionate rates. You'd often find me rooting through the items on display to either find stuff I quite liked but couldn’t justify paying full price for or to find stuff that I liked the look of and was so cheap that it was worth taking a punt on.  There was often stuff by 10,000 Maniacs in there, but I always ignored it – because, although the album covers gave no indication as such, that name suggests a slight risk of heavy metal.  And who wants to take a chance on that, eh kids?!?


However, one day, I realised the error of my ways and purchased In My Tribe (I wouldn’t bother starting any earlier than that) – and discovered a joyous fusion of two of my favourite categories “female single songwriter” and “political” (and she's also good mates with Michael Stipe as well!)  Where Billy Bragg likes to hit you over the head with a brick with his politics, Natalie Merchant disguises activism behind a jolly old tune – whilst suggesting “have you ever considered that maybe things aren’t quite right?”.  Highlights for me are “Cherry Tree”, “Gun Shy” and the utterly beautiful “Verdi Cries”.  And in just three days more, I’d have just about learned the entire score…


Two more albums followed – Blind Man’s Zoo (“Eat For Two”/”Headstrong”) and Our Time In Eden (seriously hard to pick out highlights!) before Natalie departed on a solo career which is also well worth investigating (although, like Billy Bragg, she has taken a more serious swerve into folk in her recent years - so beware!).  Motherland would be my pick, with “Motherland”, “Build a Levee” and the heartbreaking (particularly if you have teenage daughters!) “Tell Yourself” being the highlights.  Tigerlily (“San Andreas Fault”/”Wonder”) and Ophelia (“Ophelia”/”My Skin”) are also well worth checking out.  


I was lucky enough to see her "some" years ago at The Royal Albert Hall (along with my lovely wife) and it was a enchanting evening – she’s a talented but reserved performer who draws you in but leaves you wanting more (particularly since 10,000 Maniacs songs were conspicuously absent!).  


And finally, she has a special place in our household since she recorded “The Isobel Song” (as it’s known in our house) – which I’ve only just learned is based on a 1963 poem by Ogden Nash.  You live and you learn!


Once in a night as black as pitch

Isabel met a wicked old witch.

The witch's face was cross and wrinkled,

The witch's gums with teeth were sprinkled.

Ho, ho, Isabel! the old witch crowed,

I'll turn you into an ugly toad!

Isabel, Isabel, didn't worry,

Isabel didn't scream or scurry,

She showed no rage and she showed no rancor,

But she turned the witch into milk and drank her.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves