Memento amorous. Remember you must love.
Continuing my trip up Empire's top 20 films of 2025
#8 : 28 Years Later
It’s fitting that, 23 years after Danny Boyle and Alex Garland adrenalised the zombie genre anew in 28 Days Later, their return sees them hit the ground running. This long-awaited threequel, itself the beginning of a new trilogy, is a wild work from two of Britain’s best, creatively energised as they synthesise decades of national tumult into a pulse-pounding survival story. Or at least, the first half of 28 Years Later is that film, depicting youngster Spike’s (outstanding newcomer Alfie Williams) first trip to the infected UK mainland with his sharp-shooting dad Jamie (Aaron Taylor-Johnson). But it’s the unexpectedly soulful second half that proves to be Years’ secret weapon, delivering depths of emotion as Spike and his mum Isla (Jodie Comer) embark on their own odyssey. Energetic filmmaking, narrative daring, and intriguing world-building make for a stellar return to 28. Bring on next chapter, The Bone Temple.
I liked 28 Days... but, whilst I watched 28 Months..., I don't remember the slightest thing about it. I've heard good things about this, but it feels unlikely I'd have watched it under normal circumstances.
Well, it is, as Empire says "a wild work" - in two halves, both of which have their own particular brand of wildness. The first half is, at its simplest, Spike (Alfie Williams) and his dad Jamie (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) leaving the sanctuary of their island to visit the infected mainland and then coming home again. It's Spike's first trip so he learns how to kill his first zombies (sorry "infected") but there's doesn't seem to be any other reason for it so I'm not convinced the risk/reward balance is entirely worthwhile. Because, wouldn't you know it, it turns out to be a somewhat fraught affair - nobody expected that now, did they? So, plot-wise, it's very straightforward but the way it's told is most confusing with the whole thing presented as some kind of fever dream, littered with flashbacks that I'm sure meant something to some people but completely passed me by. It's all very stylish and fun to watch, but I can't say it's drowning in content.
No spoilers as to whether they make it back, but the second half has Spike taking his mother Isla (Jodie Comer) back to the mainland to try and get her some help for a mystery ailment she's suffering from - and this switches everything about because it's all presented in a much more straightforward manner, but the content is completely bonkers as they meet various "interesting" characters on their travels played by Edvin Ryding, Ralph Fiennes and Jack O'Connell. I'm not going to give you any clues as to who they're playing, I'm afraid - but it's safe to say the ending is completely mad (and has set up a sequel which feels like it's going to be QUITE the thing).
I think I agree with Empire that the second half was the secret weapon because it is indeed unexpectedly soulful - amidst all the madness! And Alfie Williams is the glue that holds it all together and I also agree with Empire that he does an outstanding job - he has quite the journey and he depicts it well (and I suspect the sequel is going to take him much further). Of his parents, Jodie Comer does a better job for me because her mystery ailment affects her memory so she drifts in and out and does it believably - Aaron Taylor-Johnson doesn't do a bad job but the character is somewhat more one dimensional. I'm also going to call out Ralph Fiennes - he does a good job as a very strange character (he's dyed orange!) but with relatable motives.
So it has some wild characters in it - and it also looks pretty wild. Most of the first half is actually pretty sane but features some beautiful scenery - it gives good wilderness. The second half is where the creative types get to open up their imaginations and let things run riot and the set designers have done their best to keep up with them - it all looks very impressive (and suitably bonkers).
Having gone into how mad the film is, I also have to say it's very well written - what else do you expect from Danny Boyle and Alex Garland? If you're so minded to draw parallels (which plenty of people won't be) it has some interesting things to say about both Brexit and Covid - I'm not saying we're all going to end up painting ourselves orange and arranging skulls in a tower, but you never know.
Whether you like this film is entirely dependent upon whether you like "this sort of thing". And I did, particularly in the second half, which I really quite enjoyed - Jodie Comer and Ralph Fiennes are always very watchable and Alfie Williams more than keeps up with them. All in all, it's a mad, suspenseful fever dream where you've got no idea what's going to happen next but I found myself looking enjoying it and I'm going to catch up with the sequel when I remember to do so - I also have to say I think it's a way better film than you'd expect a 23 year gap in sequels to produce. If you fancy it then it's available to stream on Sky or to rent in all the usual places.
#9 - A surprisingly lovely film
Comments
Post a Comment