Talkin' about that little lady

Continuing my trip back through the 1971 album charts.

06/06/71 : Tom Jones Sings She's A Lady - Tom Jones

Our seventh visit with Mr Jones and I have a sneaking suspicion it's probably an album of covers, but I can't prove it and I quite like the title track, so he just about gets away with it - and how could I resist that album cover?

The title (and opening) track is quite an interesting one because it's got quite a Motown sound to it, but (to my surprise, given how often tracks were passed round back then) it seems like none of the classic Motown bands have done a version - I reckon The Four Tops or The Temptations would have knocked it out of the park. Google AI did it's usual great job by telling me that people often confuse it with "Three Times A Lady" (they sound sooo similar) and also horrified me by telling me that Ali Campbell & Shaggy have done a version - and yes, it's just as bad as you'd expect. Back to the album, the rest of it is Tom being Tom and it's hard to complain when he delivers exactly what you're expecting, but I'd struggle to say it's particularly memorable - with the exception of "It's Up To The Woman", which is nicely over the top.

We're at #9 in the charts this week on his fourth week of a five week run, with this being as high as it got. The top five this week were Paul & Linda McCartney (this is really not a good album), The Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, Motown Chartbusters Vol 5 and Andy Williams, with the highest new entry being Ray Conniff (#34).

Wikipedia tells us it's "a studio album by Tom Jones" - it gets tricky to say exactly which number it is because they did all sorts of weird stuff regarding UK and US releases, but it seems to be his tenth album released here. And that's pretty much your lot, but if we look at the title track's entry, it tells us it was written by Paul Anka and was Tom's highest charting single in the US, getting to #2 and selling a million copies. A quick Google search also tells us that Tom stopped playing it because he wasn't happy because the lyrics had dated. However, compared to a lot from that time (and plenty other times as well), they're actually pretty positive with "she always knows her place"  being the main offender but that line is immediately followed by "she's got style, she's got grace, she's a winner". Back to the album, there's no word on the critical reception but it did OK commercially, getting to #17 in the US.

discogs.com tells us you can pick up a decent copy of this for £2.50 but if you fancy splashing out then you're unlucky because the most you can spend on it is £10.39! And I think that's pretty understandable because whilst it's all perfectly listenable, apart from a couple of tracks there's very little here to make it stand out from the crowd.

13/06/71 - Surprisingly enjoyable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wanna keep the door from closing, yeah

And all at once I owned the earth and sky

In your grace, I looked for some meaning - but I found none