Once I robbed a big ranchero, who was rich beyond compare

Continuing my trip back through the 1963 album charts.

16/06/63 : Out Of The Shadows - The Shadows


Skipping over another week, brings us back to this lot - lordy were they popular back then, with this being the third time we've seen them this year. And I suspect this will be more of the same...

And to be honest, it mostly is - although for some unclear reason it didn't quite get on my nerves as much as some of their other offerings. Maybe there's just a bit more variety with "The Bandit" and "Bo Diddley" featuring some singing and "Little B" featuring a drum solo - to be honest, it's nearly all a drum solo, which I totally wasn't expecting. Let me be clear, I didn't love it - but I did find it bearable.

We're at #18 in the charts this week on their last week of a 37 week run with it having peaked at #1 in SEVEN separate weeks - I guess there was nothing else to listen to until The Beatles came along. The top five this week were The Beatles, Cliff, Buddy, Elvis and West Side Story with the highest new entry being The Shadows (#10) - sigh.

Wikipedia is just not in the mood for this album telling us "Out of the Shadows is a 1962 rock album by British group The Shadows. It was their second album." - and that's your lot in the main body of the entry. There is, however, a much larger section later on the recording details - and it's incredibly dull. Critically, New Record Mirror went overboard and gave it five stars and commercially it also got to #18 in Germany - I'm quite surprised none of their albums never did anything in the US.

discogs.com tells us you can pick up a copy of this for a couple of quid, heading up to £45 if you want a mint version - but if you want to go mad you can head over the US and pay $750 for a white label copy. I think I'm fine without - as I said, I didn't love this but it was surprising tolerable.

09/06/63 - Almostly entirely without merit
30/06/63 - Also decent enough

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wanna keep the door from closing, yeah

And all at once I owned the earth and sky

In your grace, I looked for some meaning - but I found none