Talk to me, can't you see I'm on your side?

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

15/02/15 : Coming Up For Air - Kodaline


Absolutely no idea about this one - US rap maybe?

Not even close - it's Irish indie rock. It has a strong U2/Coldplay vibe to it, which I don't mind when it's done well - and I'd have to say that at first listen this is done pretty well, with "Only Love Will Set You Free" standing out for me. It's not earth shattering, but if you want something to nod your head to and maybe even venture as far as singing along with a chorus, then it seems to fit the bill - it might even turn out to be a grower given a few more chances.

We're at a surprisingly high #4 in the chart this week with a new entry at the start of a surprisingly long eighteen week run, with it managing a further seven weeks later in the year. The rest of the top five were SamEdDrake (another new entry) and George and the next highest new entry was Peace (#12) who are a British indie band who I've never heard of, but are apparently still going.

Wikipedia is not blessed with a huge amount on the album - it's their second, the critics were mixed on it and there were some singles from it! Commercially, it did better than I expected but it really went great guns in Ireland getting to #1 and being #8 in the year-end chart (it was #61 in the year-end over here) - it also, somewhat more surprisingly, got to #4 in Switzerland, #13 in The Netherlands and #113 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Amber Run, BANNERS, Seafret and Birdy - I assume the first three are Irish but I've absolutely no idea what Birdy's doing on the list. I'm not aware I'd ever heard any Kodaline before but I didn't mind this at all - it's not something that's going to change the world, but sometimes that's exactly what you need.

01/02/15 - A most peculiar beast
22/02/15 - A peculiar album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves