Forget our mothers and past lovers - forget everyone

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

28/06/15 : My Love Is Cool - Wolf Alice


We've previously had an album and a live visit with this lot and the results have been somewhat mixed, so I'm not sure what we're going to get here - but I'm hoping to like it.

Well I certainly like some of it, particularly the more shoe-gazey bits of it like "Bros" and "Soapy Water" - but some of it is definitely a bit noisy for my delicate ears (although somewhat perversely I suspect I'd have enjoyed them more if I'd been listening to it all at a louder volume). I did however feel it all sounds pretty well put together and it's interesting enough, even when I'm not completely enjoying it. I also liked the album cover and the ambiguity of the album title.

We're at #2 with a new entry in the chart this week on the start of a fourteen week run, with this being as high as it got, although it did spend another random fourteen weeks in the chart over the next year. The rest of the top five were Florence, Muse (an album I haven't heard - at least yet!), Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran with two more new entries in the top ten for Everything Everywhere (#7) and Leon Bridges (#8).

Wikipedia doesn't have a load on the album - it basically lists all the singles and tells us the critics loved it with loads of appearances on year-end lists and a Mercury Music Prize nomination. Commercially, it didn't really do loads away from these shores but did get to #37 in Ireland and #41 in Australia. Something else I also picked up on whilst Googling was their version of Tim Buckley's "Song To The Siren" which is a very decent take on a song I love.

"Customers also listened to" The Big Moon, Chvrches, Wet Leg and Foals - all of whom provide perfectly acceptable sounds for me. As, I think, Wolf Alice generally do - but I don't like them quite as much as I feel I should. And yes, I'm quite prepared to believe the fault lies with me.

21/06/15 - Fine, but I expected more
05/07/15 - Yeah, I like this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves