There is still much to discover

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's Top 50 TV Shows of 2023 

#21 : Planet Earth III 

Frolicking seals! Baby killer whales with their mums! A female frog kicking randy males off a tree! The third incarnation of David Attenborough’s flagship series was as full of stunning footage as ever, while also plunging into the dire consequences of the climate crisis for the natural world – from perishing baby flamingos to the death rattles of dying turtles. This wasn’t just a visual spectacle, it was an important environmental warning call.

We met Blue Planet II last year and I have little doubt that, as with that, we're here going to get stunning scenery, impressive action and dire environmental warnings.

And yup, that's pretty much what we've got - I'm not quite sure what more I can say about it! It's all very impressive (and looked absolutely gorgeous on my telly). The animals are most definitely the stars but it's the camera team that make them the stars and the amount of work involved must be incredible. I also have to say that if it wasn't Attenborough, the worlds most trusted man, showing me the fish climbing the rock face I totally wouldn't have believed it because it was absolutely mad.

Having said it was all as expected, this season does have a couple of different episodes in it - episode 7 shows how animals have adapted to live alongside humans and there's some interesting stuff in there and episode 8 details some of the conservation work being undertaken across the globe (and I totally wasn't expecting to see a rhinoceros being transported by helicopter!). I think the addition of a bit of variety didn't hurt - but it still wasn't as cool as watching animals doing the wildest things.

Nothing about this is a shock though, but that's not a bad thing - if you like this sort of thing then this is an excellent example of it and it's available on iPlayer (and best watched on as large a telly as you can find!).

#19 - Sorry, no time available for this
#22 - A family favourite finishes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves