I can't get a life if my heart's not in it

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

19/06/05 : Don't Believe The Truth - Oasis

I'd long since given up buying Oasis albums by this point - let's just say my expectations are not high...

...and yet, despite that, the guys comfortably fail to meet them.  It's not that any of it is particularly dreadful, but it's mostly all very slapdash and lazy - I'd say it's all the same three chords, but some songs seem to struggle to get up to the dizzy heights of three.  It's weird how the first two albums feature some pretty decent songs and from that point on it just seemed like they didn't feel the need to bother.  I do quite like "The Importance Of Being Idle" but I can't help but feel that the truth they don't want you to believe is that this is a pretty shit album (although the internet tells me it's generally viewed as the best of the rest if you discount their first three albums).

We're at #4 in the charts this week on their third week of a completely undeserved 41 week run, with it having peaked at #1 in its debut week (and their bizarre popularity continues to this day).  The rest of the top five were ColdplayFoo Fighters (a new entry), James Blunt and Faithless and we have two more new entries in the top ten for The Magic Numbers (#7) and Jeff Wayne (#8).

Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album (124 milliPeppers), most of which tells me how the critics and the general public disagree with me.  The critics comments do have a touch of "this is the best thing they've done in ages - but that's not tricky" but it still somehow won the Q Award for Album Of The Year.  Commercially, it did surprisingly well globally with it also getting to #1 in Ireland, Italy and Japan (huh?), top ten in a load of other countries and even #12 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Liam Gallagher, Beady Eye, Noel Gallagher and NG's High Flying Birds - Oasis fans don't tend to stray too far from the path.  And you can't say that the Gallagher brothers haven't made the most of it - I really can't wait to listen to the albums that are considered to be worse than this because they really have to be very bad indeed.

12/06/05 - All just a bit too much
26/06/05 - OK, but suffers from having one great track

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves