Don't want it Baudelaire, just glitter lust

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

28/08/05 : Supernature - Goldfrapp

With the women having started the year so well, this is the first time we've met one in nine weeks, so it's safe to say 2005 has reverted to type.  This album is another one I've owned - I remember quite liking it but I've not listened to it in ages.

Yeah, it's not bad at all - it's got a very glam sound to it with her vocal delivery being very reminiscent of T Rex (along with, obviously, a liberal sprinkling of Kate Bush in there) whilst the backing music is more 80s synth.  It all manages to be that interesting combination of retro and futuristic - somehow out of time, so it doesn't really date.  "Ooh La La", "Ride A White Horse" and "Number 1" are probably the tracks that were best known at the time and they did jump out for me on a relisten (quite possibly due to familiarity) but there are no obvious dud tracks on there - all in all, it's pretty enjoyable.

We're at #2 in the charts with a new entry this week on the start of a - wait for it - 39 week run.  Wow, that surprised me and it also managed a single week in the charts in August '20 as well.  The rest of the top five were James Blunt (just finishing off a eight week run at the top), ColdplayKaiser Chiefs and Craig David (another new entry) and the next highest new entry was Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (#14).

Wikipedia has quite a lot of text on the album, but it's one of the most bizarre selection of random facts we've had in a long time.  The critics were mostly nice about the album although there were some nay-sayers who just didn't get it - commercially it did better than I expected with it getting into the top forty in quite a few countries and #9 in Ireland.

"Customers also listened to" Roisin Murphy, Ladyhawke, Royksopp and Robyn - some people making very similar sounds there.  I didn't mind this at all, although I'm intrigued as to who was actually buying it - it didn't feel like something that was all that "in" around this time.  But I guess it was!

21/08/05 - Incredibly average
04/09/05 - Giving some people what they want

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves