I always thought that I could make it on my own

Continuing my trip back through the 1977 album charts.

06/02/77 : Lost Without Your Love - Bread

The lovely Mrs Reed is quite keen on Bread but I've always struggled to understand the appeal of their greatest hits album - it just all sounds a bit wet.  So my expectations aren't particularly high for this.

Yeah, I think wet is still a fair description but I guess it's harmless enough, although his voice isn't always top notch (and he sounds a bit like Cliff Richard on some of the tracks, which is never going to help him).  Interestingly though, there's a definite Carpenters vibe to a load of the tracks and I suspect if they'd had Karen singing them I would have been saying I found them quite enjoyable - so maybe I just need to stop being so sexist and let the poor men have some credit from time to time.  I'm loving that album cover though!

We're at #17 in the chart this week on their third week of a six week run, with this being as high as it got.  The top five this week were, quite obviously, Slim Whitman (there's a reasonable argument I should have listened to this, but it was rejected because it's all covers), David Soul, Stevie Wonder (which really is a fine album), Evita and David Bowie and the highest new entry was Chuck Berry (#17 - there are some really old dudes around in the chart at this time).

Wikipedia has a whole three sentences on the album - it's their last one, the title track made the top ten in the US but the album didn't really set the world alight.  Their entry provides a bit more detail of interest - they actually split up in 1973 because they weren't really getting on and a road accident destroyed all their equipment and instruments, so they took the hint.  However, lacklustre solo careers and the huge success of a couple of Bread best-ofs tempted them back together to record this and the general impression is that no-one (including them) really understood why they bothered.

"Customers also listened to" David Gates, America, Seals & Crofts and Ambrosia - David was in Bread but apart from that I've no idea about any of them, except that I'm sure I won't like them.  It's just not my thang - sorry!

30/01/77 - A lovely voice
13/02/77 - Somewhat disappointing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves