Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

Continuing my trip back through the 1977 album charts.

20/11/77 : No More Heroes - The Stranglers

Well, this is a cool choice!  I'm not sure I'm going to like it, but I'm pleased to see it and I'm looking forward to listening to it - The Stranglers are a bit of a gap in my musical knowledge.

I wouldn't exactly say I liked it, but I enjoyed listening to it - and certainly more so than I enjoyed The Sex Pistols (which I met coming up to three years ago now!).  Whereas the Pistols tracks are all just the same shouty anger, there's more variety and meaning in this - and it's more a case of menace then anger.  The title track is a fine song and I'd have to say "School Mam" also stood out for me as a most peculiar song indeed - it goes places you really don't expect.  I was also somewhat surprised by the opening track title "I Feel Like A Wog" (there's a word you'd have heard a lot more in the late 70s than you do now).  The message is anti-racist, but I'm still somewhat uncomfortable with it being sung by white guys - I'm sure it's been discussed a bit over the past 46 years though!

We're all the way down at #18 in the chart this week on their eighth week of a fourteen week run with it having peaked at a surprisingly high #2 in its second week.  The top five this week were the Bread best-of, The Sex PistolsRod Stewart, Electric Light Orchestra and Queen - that's looking more like a proper top five, isn't it?  The highest new entry is Status Quo (#6) and I"m also going to mention a very dated entry at #15 - The George Mitchell Minstrels' 30 Golden Greats, which will mean nothing to young people but please let me watch your face when you search for The Black and White Minstrel Show on YouTube.

Wikipedia tells us some weirdly specific details about the album cover ("The brass plaque was engraved by Steven Stapleton of Nurse with Wound") but very little else.  Critical reception was favourable and it's generally viewed to be their fines hour, but it did very little away from these shores apart from getting to #20 in The Netherlands.

"Customers also listened to" Sham 69, Iggy Pop, Ian Dury and The Clash - another fine selection of 70s/80s sounds.  This isn't really my sort of thing, but it was an interesting listen and I can definitely see its place in the musical timeline.

13/11/77 - A well done not my kinda thang
27/11/77 - Acceptable background sounds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves