Tell me, son, what's your kind of thing?

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

04/02/90 : A Bit Of What You Fancy - The Quireboys

I don't really remember anything about The Quireboys except that I don't like them - maybe that's wrong and I'll absolutely love this, but somehow I doubt it.  It probably won't surprise you to hear I never owned it (8/48).

No.  It's like a cross between Aerosmith, Rod Stewart and Status Quo.  Why would anyone choose to listen to this?!?  Particularly in the 90s - I could possibly forgive it in the 70s but it's a hard pass for me in 1990.

We're at an astonishing #3 with a new entry on the chart this week with it starting a FIFTEEN week run - what were people thinking?!?  The rest of the top five were Phil Collins, Tanita Tikaram (another new entry), Eric Clapton and Fish (another new entry which I would much preferred to have listened to) and the next highest entry is Inner City (#17 - best known for "Good Life" from '88).

Wikipedia tells me this is their debut album and, to date, it's their most successful - yes, they're still hanging in there, although it seems unclear whether they've sacked the lead singer or not.  The album only really did anything major over here, but it did make a few ripples in Germany and Switzerland - they do like their dodgy rock over there.  It also got to the dizzy heights of #111 in the US - I assume one of the singles took off on college radio or something.  I was also astonished to discover that the band were called The Queerboys until 1987 - what enlightened times they were!

"Customers also listened to" The Dogs D'Amour, Thunder, I Roy and Hanoi Rocks - I'm very happy to say I know nothing about any of those lot.  And I know a bit more about The Quireboys than I used to, but I can assure you I shall not be attempting to further increase that knowledge - I'm very surprised they were quite as successful as they were.

28/01/90 - Somehow less than the sum of its parts
11/02/90 - Pleasant enough

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves