Kids don't know what's wrong with Mum

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

29/04/90 : Life : Inspiral Carpets

This is more like it - I'm sure it'll sound pretty dated but at least it will be an interesting dated.  I never owned it, so we dip below the 20% mark (7/36) - even after the year started so well!

It does indeed sound dated - from about 1968 in places!  It's quite a nice dated though and is certainly different from most of the stuff we've been fed this year.  And everyone likes "This Is How It Feels" don't they - although the album versions isn't quite as polished as the single.  I also particularly liked "She Comes In The Fall" - I won't be rushing back to the album, but it felt nicely reminiscent of the sort of stuff I was listening to at the time.  I would say the extended version at 75 minutes long was a chore way before the end though - sometimes more is most definitely less!

We're at a surprisingly high #2 in the chart with a new entry this week at the start of a surprisingly long 21 week run.  The rest of the top five were The Carpenters, Phil CollinsAlannah Myles and Nigel Kennedy and we have one more new entry in the top ten with Sonia (#7) which will either be dreadful or surprisingly bearable, but I'm far too scared to find out which one.

Wikipedia has three paragraphs on the album, but they're all about slightly different versions of the album and incredibly dull.  The critics were nice enough about it, but unsurprisingly it did absolutely nothing away from these shores.  Their entry is a lot more interesting - the band has experienced an amusing amount of churn in personnel over the years.  I didn't know they reformed and released another album in 2014 and they were also touring earlier this year so they're still hanging in there!

"Customers also listened to" Happy Mondays, The Charlatans, Shed Seven and Northside - and I find it a bit weird that I've never heard of Northside.  I'd obviously heard of Inspiral Carpets but I'd almost completely forgotten about them before this appeared - I was glad to be reminded of them and enjoyed an album which, although very backwards looking, reminded me a lot more of the time than most albums from the chart have so far.

22/05/90 - Perfectly bearable, hence slightly disappointing
06/05/90 - Comfortably failed to meet my low expectations

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves