It's too late to turn back when the green lights flash

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

15/04/90 : Brigade - Heart

I know Heart have a long successful history, particularly in the US, but I only know them from "Alone" so without anything else to go on that's what I'm expecting here (and no, we never owned it - 7/38).

Yeah, that's pretty much what it's like.  Fine if you like that sort of thing, but it all gets very samey for me pretty quickly.  They've got nice voices and there's some decent enough guitar work on there but I don't think I've got anything more to say on it than that.  It's a very 80s album cover though, isn't it?

We're at a surprisingly high #5 in the charts this week on their second week of a twenty week run with it having debuted at #3.  The top five this week were Fleetwood Mac (a new entry), The Carpenters best-of, a Bowie best-of and Phil Collins and we have two more new entries in the top ten for ABC (#7 - another best-of) and Iron Maiden (#10 - which is odd because they had a new entry last time around as well).  

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - it's their tenth album and there are some pretty heavyweight names on the songwriting credit list with Mutt Lange, Albert Hammond, Diane Warren and Sammy Hagar being the names I recognise, all of which suggest the record company calling in some favours.  The critics were pretty "meh" about the album but the public liked Bad Animals so bought it anyway - it sold over two million copies in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Pat Benatar, Cher, Roxette and Foreigner - some definite similar sounds there.  I also noted similarities with Alannah Myles's effort from around the same time and I also imagine Heart would be a lot more fun live than just listening to the album.  Which was not fun in the slightest.

08/05/90 - Not the Doppler effect, but...
22/05/90 - Perfectly bearable, hence slightly disappointing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves